Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
motorhed

broke 6116 shifter

motorhed
Ok, i bought a 6116 tractor with a cobbled shifter.it had been "booger welded"beyond any reasonable repair.it had also been ground off short.I had tried to repair it with a weld and it worked for 2 mowings.Now the part is listed as 1663233 in the downloaded manual tp_400_0768_02_gt_s and I see it (the pivot rod assembly) on page 17 and 18. Ok, heres my questions,how do I get that thing out?does it take a special tool? the diagram looks like it all is held in with the bushings.any tricks to shortcut a dissassembly?can i still get the parts? I broke it yesterday and just walked away.(just got a deck belt the day before).I can handle any repairs here for most automotive,as thats what I did,for near 20 years. Thanks,Dave C.

RickH
Just went thru this myself on my 728. Put a pair of vice grips on the remaining shaft, make sure the shifter is in neutral, put a pry bar under the vice grips slowly and evenly pru out the unit. The shaft and the split bearings will come out. Do this carefully and the bearings may not disintegrate, if the do they cost about $9.00 from the dealer. It is a bear to get them back in without destroying, so a trick I used was to see if the ball is loose in the bearings if it is polish down the mating edges of bearings till there is no slop and then they are easy to tap back into placeafter repair or purchase of new shaft. I used loctite to lock bearings back into housing to make sure they7 don't pull out during use. Good luck