Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mouse nest

dhoadley

Last week, when I was done cutting grass (45 mins.) the engine was ticking from heat. Vowed to look into it this week before I started. Did one lap around the perimeter this week before remembering my vow and popped the hood to find not much air flow from the left side. Back to the shed to find this.

20230902_110403.thumb.jpg.ea15d4f37250a0ffd2990df6039f140c.jpg

20230902_110409.thumb.jpg.7fe785f606b8ab4eea9505ac8e8bf18c.jpg

20230902_110705.thumb.jpg.dc71d5462ba6ea888054e57de6f65b26.jpg

Light and fluffy. Seemed very recent. Hopefully no long term effects. Time will tell.

• Like 2

You would think the engine manufacturers engineers would at some point have come up with  shrouds that have EASILY removable cleanout panels....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SmilinSam said:

You would think the engine manufacturers engineers would at some point have come up with  shrouds that have EASILY removable cleanout panels....

But then they wouldn't be selling us as many new engines and tractors...........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

If I had a good idea on how/where these animals enter, I think I'd try and cover all entries with sand wire.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that dryer sheets repel mice and try to remember to use them in the fall. I don’t think I’ve had any get into an engine that’s had the dryer sheets around it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, simplewrench said:

I read somewhere that dryer sheets repel mice and try to remember to use them in the fall. I don’t think I’ve had any get into an engine that’s had the dryer sheets around it. 

Well worth a try. Thanks.

• Like 1

If I used those sheets by the time spring comes  I would have forgotten about the sheets, and I would have sucked one into the engine fins, one would get onto the muffler, a fine would have quickly ensued.  

We have two barn cats we feed  randomly on the engine tops. 

👍🙂😉

• Like 2

My machine shed is 19 years old, full slab with footings, and lined inside with metal. I've never had a mouse problem in it. I have a floor drain that is open to the world at the end, but it is 50' long. Apparently mice won't go that far in a 2" pipe.