Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B&S 326437 0649-1

RobT

Hi guys,

A little background here: I sold a running 7116H to a friend (actually the one I posted pics of here a long time ago), he pulled the B&S 326437 0649-1 and moved it to a 7119H to replace a dead Kohler. Now it doesn't have spark.

So I have searched the site for any info on this engine. Ran through the suggested fixes/workarounds to no avail.

I've tried rewiring the entire system and have narrowed it down to, I believe, an issue in the engine's internal electrical components.

Mainly looking for a true service manual that will show the electrical components and their respective functions/voltages etc.

Search the net for one and can't locate any using 326437 0649-1 and only came up with owners and parts manuals.

Thank you for any help.

Rob

Doesn’t the 7119 have an external coil ignition system?

and the Briggs have a internal coil ignition system ?

the 7119 requires power to the coil.

the  Briggs  system does not.

if you supply power to Briggs system 

you will burn the internal coil

• Like 1

the manual you are looking for is part number 270962 single cylinder l head .                                     If the key switch  was not changed at the start the coil was cooked.

1 hour ago, Ronald Hribar said:

Doesn’t the 7119 have an external coil ignition system?

and the Briggs have a internal coil ignition system ?

the 7119 requires power to the coil.

the  Briggs  system does not.

if you supply power to Briggs system 

you will burn the internal coil

I'm going to hazard a guess that the guy did just that. He swapped it out and hooked up the Briggs direct with the Kohler harness. I'm pulling the Briggs and giving him the rest of 7119 back. 

28 minutes ago, littlefan said:

the manual you are looking for is part number 270962 single cylinder l head .                                     If the key switch  was not changed at the start the coil was cooked.

As stated he used the existing 7119 wiring and switch. Thanks for the manual lead. 

This pic shows what a Briggs magneto coil looks like when it's powered with 12V:

Coil_New_Fried2a.jpg.8aa1afff263f912ecd8d38182d446170.jpg

In my case, the PO replaced a faulty ignition switch in a 3416H (Briggs) with a spare switch he had on hand from a Kohler powered tractor.  He gave up trying to "fix" the tractor to my benefit.  

The wiring change is simple if you repurpose a couple of wires in the wiring harness.  

9 hours ago, RobT said:

Mainly looking for a true service manual that will show the electrical components and their respective functions/voltages etc.

Here's the typical wiring diagrams for the two systems.

Tractors without interlock modules (IM):

6504d7c861d75_SovWiringNoIM.png.6c5c7d94457a11542e7d44eceed2bf10.png

Tractors with IM's:

6504d887313df_SovWiringWithIM.png.14c65814ff6c99c30c4f4ce49aa6c928.png

A bit more complicated, but basically the same.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brettw said:

This pic shows what a Briggs magneto coil looks like when it's powered with 12V:

Coil_New_Fried2a.jpg.8aa1afff263f912ecd8d38182d446170.jpg

That should buff out, Bill...........

LOL...

I'll post pics once I get into it (going to be awhile as have an air compressor re-pipe job to do for a client).

Thanks for the diagrams PhanDad.

Edited by RobT

Related to this...

I took the kill wire direct from the magneto to a dedicated kill switch, completely bypassing the ignition switch. I have heard of cases where the ignition switch  went haywire and blew out the coil for the above mentioned reasons. Not a problem ever since.

You can eliminate internal coil

and put an external coil on it

this will be a kohler type ignition system on a Briggs motor

all your wiring and switches can remain the same

• Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 7:45 AM, Ronald Hribar said:

You can eliminate internal coil

and put an external coil on it

this will be a kohler type ignition system on a Briggs motor

all your wiring and switches can remain the same

That sounds like a great idea. I have the Briggs on my bench and was about to pull the flywheel. I'll do a search here for info on it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The 12 external coil conversion works, but only if your Brigs has external points. If its a magnetron without the points, the conversion is not possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmilinSam said:

The 12 external coil conversion works, but only if your Brigs has external points. If its a magnetron without the points, the conversion is not possible.

Excellent point Sam, I didn't think about that.  

Since the Briggs is a  model 326437 it probably has a Magnetron.  I had a 7116 at one time; I can't remember if it had points or a Magnetron  :(

3 hours ago, RobT said:

Comes up with an error 😞

I'll search the site.

Although you probably can't do a conversion, if you still want to try to find the post you can start with the second "sticky" post at the top of this forum:

"Links to Old Site's DIY Posts" - It's the first DIY listed

PS - The link works for me (Windows 10 desktop software)

3 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Excellent point Sam, I didn't think about that.  

Since the Briggs is a  model 326437 it probably has a Magnetron.  I had a 7116 at one time; I can't remember if it had points or a Magnetron  :(

If one had a sure fire good way to  cut and splice spark plug wires swapping another magnatron in wouldnt be so bad. But these cast iron engines use a really long plug wire . Most all of the used magnatrons from other engines have a much shorter spark plug wire.

That and I dont know if all magnatrons work with the flywheel on a magnatron equipped cast iron.

Edited by SmilinSam

I have purchased a roll of solid core sparkplug wire at NAPA in the past.  I would assume it is still available in the automotive/agriculture/collector aftermarket.

• Like 1

My method of cut and splicing plug wires...cut back 1-1/2 on each end then solder. Shrink wrap goes next then followed up with a few layers of rubber electrical tape.

Did mine this way and been running about 10 years now super good.

• Like 1