Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck idler pulley

dhoadley

Cutting the grass yesterday with the A/C 917H, and most of the way thru the tone changes and I start getting smoke coming out from underneath. I jack rabbit back to the shed and after some investigation, find my deck idler pulley is the culprit. I take it off, loosen it up, pack it with bearing grease and quickly finish the yard. The deck is a 42" that I THINK the last 3 digits are 818? 4" pulley with 3/8" bore, I forgot to measure the bore "depth". Looking for a cheap replacement. I'll post what I go with.

Some info for your search for a generic equivalent of hydro clutch or deck Idlers - they have similar dimensions:

FDT deck idler, part#108386 or 2108386 measures 4" Dia OD; 3-5/16" Belt ID

Metal hydro clutch & RBT deck idler part #164268 or 1665432 measures 3-5/8" Dia; 3-1/4" Belt ID

Plastic Sov18 hydro clutch & RBT deck idler part #1704926 measures 4" Dia; 3-1/8" Belt ID

Happy parts hunting. 

23 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

Plastic Sov18 hydro clutch & RBT deck idler part #1704926 measures 4" Dia; 3-1/8" Belt ID

I have replaced the plastic idler pulleys with P/N 1685144SM which is a 2-piece riveted steel design where you can replace the bearing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bill725 said:

I have replaced the plastic idler pulleys with P/N 1685144SM which is a 2-piece riveted steel design where you can replace the bearing.

This is a riveted steel pulley. I have a small hand-squeeze rivet gun. Can that redo the rivets? What bearing do I need? Thanx, Dave

Use a die grinder to grind the rivet heads off. Use a punch to remove rivets. Bearing no. will be on the bearing seal. I use machine screws with nylock nuts to re-assemble.

There's no bearing seal left, I'm able to see the balls inside. Removing the rivets is easy, can I just use the same metal rivets I use on gutter downspouts to reassemble? I guess I'll just remove the old bearing and measure to find a new bearing. Thanx, Dave

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dhoadley said:

can I just use the same metal rivets I use on gutter downspouts to reassemble?

I would think those rivets are all aluminum and wouldn't be a good choice IMO.  

My pop-rivet assortment includes "all steel" ones and that would be my choice.  

• Like 2