Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Belt Help

tg french

I have a 3416 with an unknown #Mower deck and am having belt issues.  A 70" belt feels banjo tight even when the tensioner isn't applied and difficult to get on.  A 71" belt is so loose that it rubs on the idler pulley when tensioned.  Then to top it off a 70 1/2 inch belt is impossible to find.  Is the tight 70" belt correct or is it just going to cause early bearing failure on the shafts and pulleys.  Anyone have an idea of a work around?

thanks for you consideration.

The decks that came with the 3416 are 42" 990885 uses belt 2176439, 74.1" long and 48" 990886 uses 2163011, NLA. Because the Research section does not work, unable to determine length.

The deck might have the wrong drive pulley on the center arbor since there were 48” decks with variations from the late ‘60s up to 2000. 

• Like 1

What Chris said above.  Also would add that  if previous owners swap other components into a mower from other model/year mowers, like drive spindles, idler pulleys etc, you can just throw the factory belt size listings out the window.

Also routing the belt through the pulleys the wrong way can also cause fitment problems, though the deck usually wont run right if the belt is routed wrong.

Could also have wrong size idlers on tractor too. Just another possibility....

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 3

Chris/Sam  Both of your statements are probably closest to the issue.   Wear on the Main Deck Pulley and on the PTO pulley are probably the main culprits.  Both of the idler pulleys  have been replaced with factory matching pulleys.  How deeply should the belt ride in the PTO pulley?  Currently it's down deep in the pulley.

I've used both 42" and 48" decks on my 7016H, lately the 48" deck.  I've found the PTO setup likes the factory 71.6" belts best but I've run both 72" and 71" belts.  There is enough "adjustment" for both belts, but the 72" with time tends to stretch and the back side idler belt guard will chew into the belt.   A pic of a factory belt on a 42" deck:IMG_9255.thumb.JPG.99816b62959e6122cc83410a6a5c7517.JPG

1 hour ago, tg french said:

How deeply should the belt ride in the PTO pulley?  Currently it's down deep in the pulley.

It sounds like you're using the wrong groove:

IMG_9206a.thumb.JPG.16333d196a2f124b1a926a92d6ad47c3.JPG

• Like 1

Phandad, I'm running in the correct pulley on the pto same as your photo.  The Idler is currently as you described as gouging/rubbing on the return idler with a 71" belt.  I only get the separation as in your photo of the 42" deck with a 70" belt, but then i'm worried about premature bearing wear with it being so tight.

On 9/18/2023 at 2:27 PM, tg french said:

but then i'm worried about premature bearing wear with it being so tight.

I think the deck bearings can take the load.  And with time, the belt will stretch some.  

Here's a couple of pics I took today of a 48" deck MFG# 1691219 mounted on my 7016H:

IMG_1887a.thumb.JPG.e30df25ed7bb736283b68ca9265d92e5.JPGThe belt is a 163011 and is relatively new.  

IMG_1888a.thumb.JPG.eb39cd205b772e26f0b21cca309791a4.JPG

• Like 1