Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler K241

fomoco390

I have this Kohler problem: it idles ok, but if I try to give it throttle, it dies, just like I turned off the key. I can ease up on the throttle a little, but only very little. If I choke it, it helps, which makes me think it's lean. I've changed the float (and adjusted it), the needle valve, and the gaskets. I've also adjusted the setings as much as possible, all to no avail. One thing about it -- I don't have and air filter installed. Could that be leaning it out that much? So, what am I missing?

i'm no expert but i dont think running it without the air filter would have that much effect on it. i have ran my model 700 simplicity without an air filter and it dosen't seem to effect the way it runs....but i have been wrong before. simplejim

i had a similar problem with my 12hp briggs, what i did was take the carb off and disassemble it. I had a gallon size of carb cleaner with a built in basket that was designed for cleaning carbs ect. I let mine soak for a day or two blew it out and reinstalled it. For good measure I ran a can of gumout carb cleaner in the gas tank and after that it has been ok.

take a very,very, very small wire and poke it through both jets but make sure that its small enough the it doesn't damage the jet.