Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tired Briggs

Brettw

Well, I had picked up a tired ol' 7116.  Price was right, has the rear lift, hydro lift, tires hold air.  Not in terrible shape but it has been outside and has a lot of oil and chafe all over it.  BGB is sloppy, not sure of the hydro, seems that the transaxle locks up trying to roll it forward.   Nice 42" deck.  Anyway, worked on the electrical, it had disconnected wires to the amp meter and breaker, somebody had been jumping the battery directly to start it (no connection to the started solenoid), etc. Got it to spin over with the key, seemed to have compression, but no spark.  Checked all of the kill wire where I could and that did not seem to be the problem.  So, I pulled the engine, cleaned it up, pulled the shroud to get at the magneto, and then the head to check and see what the cylinder looked like.  Well, that's not good and kind of put the kibosh on ordering a new magneto (even though they are pretty reasonable).  For a tired old tractor, I'm not sure I want to put the money and effort into this block. I wonder what would cause such global and serious scoring of the walls?  Might sell the tractor to someone with more ambition for a restore, or part it out.  I can always use the rear lift, and the deck sold quickly so I haven't been hurt by it.

briggs.jpg

Edited by Brettw
  • Sad 1

I'm not going to fix this Briggs, so if any of you Briggs guys are out there and can use it, let me know before it goes to the scrap yard.  Starter is good, and the engine is complete less exhaust.  SE Wisconsin.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Horvik said:

Is that the Briggs 16 HP 326400 series mill?

If the engine is original it would be a 326437 0649-01 (ring gear starter). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like previous owner did not believe in oil changes and air filter replacement. I would mic the cylinder wall and see if it is still boreable. A very durable engine , to be sure.

Wish you ere closer. I need a good 16 hp block, mine has .008 wear on a .030 oversize bore, but I am in Alabama. If you decide to bore, I have a good piston for .030 oversize