Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

John deer 400 rear pto- sun star?

hurleyii

Several JD owner/experts claim that the 2 speed hydro transaxle from a 1920 it identical to the transaxle in the 400 series JD.  As they have swapped them out because the 1920s are soooo much cheaper than the JD stuff.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MikeES said:

Several JD owner/experts claim that the 2 speed hydro transaxle from a 1920 it identical to the transaxle in the 400 series JD.  As they have swapped them out because the 1920s are soooo much cheaper than the JD stuff.

They are identical but from what I’ve been reading the 400 pto comes off the front pto which is reduced to 2,000 rpm and then the rear pto reduces it to 840. The 400 is however the only one that uses this type of pto and rpm speed. So to use it one would have to install a tachometer that could read 540 rpm’s so one could throttle back the engine to the needed speed.

23 hours ago, hurleyii said:

I’m looking for the 540 so I can use a cat 0 pto attachment 

The only 540 RPM PTO for a Sunstar is front mounted.  The other rear PTO with a Peerless gearbox is 2000 RPM.  BTW, I have NEVER seen a front mount 540 RPM PTO even though it is listed in the Sunstar attachments manual.

Edited by CarlH
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 1:19 PM, CarlH said:

The only 540 RPM PTO for a Sunstar is front mounted.  The other rear PTO with a Peerless gearbox is 2000 RPM.  BTW, I have NEVER seen a front mount 540 RPM PTO even though it is listed in the Sunstar attachments manual.

So what attachments does the engine speed pto drive work on?
Which rear axle do I have? 
2 speed with locker on one, 2 speed on Agco 1920 and a Single speed transaxle

1. Engine speed PTO is for the rear tiller.

2. I have no idea. 2-speed has a Hi-Lo shift on the right side of the drive tunnel. I think all 2-speeds have the differential lock.

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

1. Engine speed PTO is for the rear tiller.

2. I have no idea. 2-speed has a Hi-Lo shift on the right side of the drive tunnel. I think all 2-speeds have the differential lock.

I believe the rear pto driven yard vacuun attachment also uses the engine speed pto. That and the tiller are the only two attachments I am aware of that use it.

Not all the 2 speeds have the diff lock. I have one  in a tractor that doesnt. I think it was originally in one of the Briggs powered Sunstars.

30 minutes ago, SmilinSam said:

I believe the rear pto driven yard vacuun attachment also uses the engine speed pto. That and the tiller are the only two attachments I am aware of that use it.

Not all the 2 speeds have the diff lock. I have one  in a tractor that doesnt. I think it was originally in one of the Briggs powered Sunstars.

That’s correct smilinsam . I have a Agco 1920 2 speed with no diff lock. 

fyi I’m posting a Duetz I found online with pto and 3 point hitch.