Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First time start for newly rebuilt engine

guylu

Hello Well the time has finally come and this weekend I will be starting my 19D engine in my b-1. This motor has new valves, new piston, new rod, new gaskets, rebuilt carb. My only concern is when I first start it how long should I let it run? At what rpm range? How soon can I run it under load? Any input would be appreciated I would not like to screw up a lot of hard work Thanks

When you first start a rebuilt motor you should always follow the rule of thumb to change the oil after five hours of running. In this time period you should not put a big load on the motor. You should vary your rpm's not reving it too high. This will give the bearing and seals a chance to get used to turning around. So try not to give it a big load varying rpm for time to time. After about 15-20 hours you should retorque the head bolts and make sure everything else is snug yet. Good Luck!

Hi Lou, it should also be run for at least 20 minutes to give the new rings a chance to seat....Art

The instructions I got for this were to run the engine at a medium speed and under no load for 8 hours, changing the oil at 20 minutes, 2 hours & 8 hours. Good luck! John(ri)

You didn't ask, but I would also remove the spark plug, squirt one or two shots of motor oil into the plug hole, spin the engine about 10 times without the plug installed to get the crankcase oil splashing around, then immediately install the plug and fire it up.

what about a brand new motor???? Do they still require a break in period? what is it, ive heard all kinds of different stories. Doug