Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Swapping Simplicity mower decks

RB35

I have no idea if this is the correct place for this question, but...   I have a 1991 Simplicity 17-GTH-L (hydraulic lift) and am looking for a mower deck.  I know someone who has several 42" decks but he's not sure if they will work because mine tractor has running boards and he says his has "foot pegs"- sort of a curvy 3/8" bolt on foot rest.   Can those be removed to use the deck on my tractor?

Thanks,

RB35

• Like 1

Those foot pegs can be removed. There can be problems with the height adjusters on the deck sticking up too high and interfering with the running boards. Some of the large frame mower decks had slightly different sizes of driven center pulley. I don't have a good answer because I am not familiar with the 17-GTH model, but ... In spite of all that, you can likely make the deck work if you are handy and clever!

Others here will be more helpful to you, especially if you can tell them a model number from the deck or the tractor it was originally partnered with. 

A pic of the deck would help.  

As @TomSchmit if you're installing a FDT deck on an RBT such as your 17GTH-L, the deck adjusters will hit the running boards.  Here's a couple of pics, of 42" decks; the yellow one is from a B-110, a FDT, the orange one from deck is from a 3410H, a RBT:

IMG_4537a.jpg.b0651d07996679b42efde55951bfc85d.jpg

IMG_9185.thumb.JPG.a52d6fae52861d350e3231ac6d0f49d6.JPG

Notice the position of the height adjusters, they are further out on the RBT deck.  

You'll also notice I removed the standard adjusters on the yellow deck and replaced them with threaded rod and a nut to minimize height and increase the clearance under the running board of a 17GTH-L I once had.  It helped some.  

If I had to do it again today, I'd attempt to get rid of the adjuster rod and bolt the deck solid in the highest cutting position since I never lower them from max cutting height.    

• Like 3

OK, thanks for the help and pictures.  I got a 42" deck and already have it torn down for cleaning, repaint, rebuild, etc so no pics assembled.  It does have two adjustable links from front to back.  Luckily he had a new center spindle and a used cable link.  

The 17gth-l is a 1991 model, hydro static drive and hydro lift.  I'm fairly new here and got this tractor shot up and locked up for the price of the plow I wanted (another story).  Rebuilt the eng and now everything works.  I like older well built equipment and putting this package together for my son at his new house.

RB

On 9/25/2023 at 3:30 PM, RB35 said:

- sort of a curvy 3/8" bolt on foot rest.  

Theres no footrest on the  newer decks. ... but the later model mower decks  did use a curved 3/8" rod that serves as the height adjuster on each side.  If thats the case then such a deck would be correct for the GTH-L. ( unless someone put newer adjusters on an older deck...)

The 1970 and older "footdragger" decks had the height adjusters spaced narrow together compared to the newer decks. the set inline with the tractors toe plates, and thus would hit the bottoms of the foot plates on newer tractors when the decks raised in transport position. These also had the curved rod  foot rests bolted to the belt cover plates. I'm guessing this is what you were refferring to above.. though I'm not sure that this was their purpose...CRS

The 1971 and newer decks had wider spacing for the height adjusters, so they sit outside of the foot plates.

Edited by SmilinSam

@SmilinSam

I'm thinking the "sort of a curvy 3/8" bolt on foot rest" are on the FDT deck covers; circled in red in this pic of my B-110 with deck covers on:

B110Home_0004a.jpg.33e4a92fb6b8b2d7b93c0a033d13160d.jpg

Never knew why they were needed since you didn't step on the deck.  

1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

@SmilinSam

I'm thinking the "sort of a curvy 3/8" bolt on foot rest" are on the FDT deck covers; circled in red in this pic of my B-110 with deck covers on:

B110Home_0004a.jpg.33e4a92fb6b8b2d7b93c0a033d13160d.jpg

I have rested the rear of my shoe on them a bit more comfortably than the round tube below it. 

9 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Thats the rub, I dont think they were meant totally as a foot rest.. Thought I read somewhere along the way that these were to keep your feet from getting smashed between the deck & the tractor foot rest with the use of a hydraulic lift.  I just dont remember..

I know that they have never been on that many decks I have come across. And I dont remember what years/models they showed up on.

• Like 3