Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Air Filters; Is there a cheaper way?

Duke

Hope SOMEONE can help me / us out. Have a 9020 and I would like to know if there is a cheaper air filter than the $40.00 one from Simplicity.

There sure is! I've got the number and filter at work, but I beleive it is a Baldwin PA2347 it is about 18.00 plus shipping. There is a member on this site that is a Baldwin dealer in WI. He shipped it to me and I sent him a check. I'll check on the number tomorrow to be sure. Or you can go to the Baldwin web site and their search system and look it up, if you are in a hurry.

It always helps it you can buy a generic air filter for the engine rather than going back to the tractor dealer. I use small automotive filters on my BS 10Hp, and have modified a 12 Hp Kohler to use a much thicker filter from a later model so that it last longer before needing replacement. My motto, "If you can make it fit, use it" Rod H.

Hello Duke, one thought that came to mind is a K&N air filter, they make many universel filters plus they are re-usable. They may cost 15-30 bucks, but you already save that much money every time you clean the K&N. It may be worth it, I am gonna try one on my go-kart and truck, already have the truck one. hmm if memory serves me right their website (K&N) is http://www.knfilters.com good luck,-BradW Duke, here is another link that may be the direct onan filter on K&N's website, also, check the universal section if this link isn't the correct filter, best of luck,-BradW http://www.knfilters.com/industrial.htm

how about a oil filter, I have a 20 hp kohler command engine and kohlers filter number is 12 050 01-S. I was wondering if there was a automotive filter that would fit. $8.50 a filter seems to be a little steep but if there is`nt a aftermarket filter I guess I`ll have to live with it. I did search for filter cross references on the web but can`t find any thing. ray

Yepper! What a great memory I have. The Baldwin PA 2347 is the number. And it is a direct replacement. "Rumor has it" that it is where Simplicity buys their's. And you'll save over 50%. E-mail me if you can't find a Baldwin Filter Dealer in your area, and I'll send you my contacts name. Jack