Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar circuit breaker tripping

sblg43

End of last winter, the Sunstar stopped working. When I turn the key on, dash lights are on for just a moment and then everything goes off. The circuit breaker keeps tripping. Through a process of elimination, I determined that the problem is in the wire or wires that lead down to the ignition coil. Of course, that means that I had to pull the engine out in order to access the coil. What I found was this (diode?). I don't know anything about these diodes. A continuity test on each end of the wire shows NO continuity. Could this be the culprit? How necessary is it?

20230930_121430.jpg

20230930_121436.jpg

20230930_121446.jpg

Update to my investigation: I removed the flywheel and started resistance and continuity testing the coil and stator. The ignition coil tests good resistance. However, the stator is a problem. It appears to be grounding to the engine block. Not good. Looks like a new stator is on order.

• Like 1

Scott,

While the AG tires on the front look great, steering response and grin are better if the tread pattern is reversed. I reversed mine and never could get use to the look, but I had more control plowing snow.

I was told to have the tread in the direction you have the tires mounted if the tractor has four wheel drive, otherwise have the tread pointed in the other direction.

If you decide to flip the tread around you should be able to just switch sides the tires are mounted on. This way you won’t have to dismount the tires from the rim and then mount the tires with the tread in the opposite direction.

Rick

I believe your engine has an alternator which creates AC (alternating) current. A diode acks like a check valve allowing the positive portion of the sine wave and not allowing the negative portion of the sine wave to charge the battery, which is DC along with the rest of the electrical system.

• Like 1

That may be a blocking diode for the electric clutch.  A large inductive spike is induced when the magnetic field collapses when the clutch is disengaged. It is not likely to be associated with the shorted stator. 

23 hours ago, RickS said:

Scott,

While the AG tires on the front look great, steering response and grin are better if the tread pattern is reversed. I reversed mine and never could get use to the look, but I had more control plowing snow.

I was told to have the tread in the direction you have the tires mounted if the tractor has four wheel drive, otherwise have the tread pointed in the other direction.

If you decide to flip the tread around you should be able to just switch sides the tires are mounted on. This way you won’t have to dismount the tires from the rim and then mount the tires with the tread in the opposite direction.

Rick

Thanks for the input. I bought this tractor at an auction and it already had the current tires on it. I'll flip them around. Thanks again.

The white wire with the diode, in my photo, is the kill wire that goes to the ignition coil. The electrical schematic in my Sunstar service manual, shows NO diode in that white wire. Curious....

• 7 months later...
sblg43

Although it's been awhile, I wanted to report back about my repair. The problem was the stator. I replaced the stator and all is well and back in running condition.

• Like 3