Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Scoop/Bucket

DTS

I have always wanted a front end Loader for my 7018, but could not afford one. A few years ago I picked up a Husqvarna Front End Scoop on sale cheap on Craigslist.

588181401-lg.jpg.5608987485f011963d028ee84b2068c1.jpg3793110371.thumb.jpg.0dbfd14878d79fdd2033b5cc28ba8565.jpg

This summer I finally got around to adapting it to my 7018.  I cut off most of the Husqvarna hardware and created a hitch to fit the Simplicity  Then I adapted a Simplicity Electric lift for the dump mechanism.  

IMG_3415.jpg.e2a4707deb7898238320e002db5289ea.jpgIMG_3419.jpg.877c092b468f94de9a3f176693883f26.jpgIMG_3413.jpg.a4cd4d6cfbc1ad0dcdb48966bd62de49.jpg

It works well.  It doesn't lift very high, and there is a little more slop in the bucket tilt than I would like, but it lifts over 200 lbs with no problem.  It has replaced my wheel barrow for many chores. 

• Like 8

I did the same thing with the Craftsman version of that. Though, I just used the standard hand lever that came with it for the dump mechanism.. Your actuator implementation is alot nicerdOd

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

That looks very similar to the Johnny Bucket!  Don’t sell those units short!  When I first moved into my house I move over 30 cubic yards of top soil using a bucket just like that. Would a larger tractor and bucket done the job faster sure. But these tractors are very capable, the job just may take a little longer.

Rick

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments.  I think you are right. I’m not sure something larger would be better.  With a full bucket my tractor is hard to steer.  Still beats the wheelbarrow and shovel though

I looked into the Johnny Bucket.  It is Almost as much as a used loader.  I got the scoop cheap.  All in, I spent less than $250.

• Like 5

Nice job! I like the actuator - it would help for back blading and angling the  bucket for better digging.

I, too, re-did a Sears version of this bucket after finding the original mechanism to be overly complex and mis-engineered (the dump latch). I called it a first-year mechanical engineering student's nightmare. It would only lift the bucket a few inches with nearly 3 feet of control arm travel! Mine is self-contained. It uses an electric winch for lifting - the bucket edge comes nearly level when lifted. I used the original dump mechanism , but moved the latch to the  end of the bucket so the geometry stays aligned.

IMG_2705.JPG

• Like 2

Hello, I built this one a few years ago, used a linear actuator for dumping.

Added a switch to the hydraulic lift handle to control the dump action

these are great for moving mulch and dirt , but are limited for digging. 

I saw someone had rototilled an area then scooped the loose dirt up.

Thanks Ken in Mi

IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_2750.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, maxwood said:

Hello, I built this one a few years ago, used a linear actuator for dumping.

That's not a Sears/Husky/etc. scoop. Did you fab the whole thing yourself? Nice job! I like the end-mounted actuator for a direct simple design.

A much better design than the original.  The way Sears does it now is prone to failure.  I see a lot of complaints on their web site about the latch design.

Hello, Yes I built from scratch. I built 2 of them  they worked good,

but I bought a subcompact Massey with a loader.

Thanks Ken in Mi

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 11:36 PM, DTS said:

Thanks for the comments.  I think you are right. I’m not sure something larger would be better.  With a full bucket my tractor is hard to steer.  Still beats the wheelbarrow and shovel though

I've seen people adapt buckets to the front of these small tractors before and have always wondered what it's like to try and steer with a full load. Not to mention the wear and tear on the steering linkage.

I know what it's like to steer my Landlord 2012 with the snow blower mounted especially if I'm stopped.

You did a nice job though.

Joe...

10 hours ago, JoeT&DMaker said:

I know what it's like to steer my Landlord 2012 with the snow blower mounted especially if I'm stopped.

My AC 710 with the narrow front tires steers fine when loaded. . .BUT...

Everyone now is used to power steering and doesn't give it a second thought. Back in the day before PS, a normal driving skill was learning to start moving before turning the wheels. It reduces the effort dramatically. Also, especially on rough ground, every pickup truck and tractor driver learned to keep thumbs and fingers from wrapping around the steering wheel, otherwise the wheel would ;jerk hard enough to break bones when a tire hit a bump at slow speeds.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2023 at 10:41 AM, DTS said:

The way Sears does it now is prone to failure.  I see a lot of complaints on their web site about the latch design.

The Sears latch location is "designed to fail". They mounted the latch so it has a different arc center than the bucket pivot. So, as the bucket frame is lifted, the position of the latch changes in relation to the scoop edge. They tried to compensate by spring loading the latch mounting, but it is only aligned in either the "up" or "down" position (I don't remember which) and will fail if you try to latch or unlatch it out of position.

scoop.jpg

At the risk of pirating the topic, I found pix of my installation that I thought might be useful to someone. I mounted a reversing switch next to the winch spool. I had to get a new winch (HF) and found that the controller had the same basic parts as the old switch so I just used that with the dash-mounted DPDT switch.

Also, it is easy to move the latch to the end of the bucket - drill a few holes and modify the catch slot with a file.

20190920_134253_resized.jpg

20190920_133959_resized.jpg

20190920_134027_resized.jpg

20190920_134040_resized.jpg

20190920_134056_resized_1.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AC710 said:

My AC 710 with the narrow front tires steers fine when loaded. . .BUT...

Everyone now is used to power steering and doesn't give it a second thought. Back in the day before PS, a normal driving skill was learning to start moving before turning the wheels...

My second job driving tractor trailer was a '77 R model Mack without power steering. That vehicle-in-motion lesson came real early on. sm03

• Like 2