Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bow-legged cowboy 416

AC710

I picked up this 416 earlier this summer. I've wondered about what seems to be excessive camber in the front wheels. It is very obvious, and neither of my Port Washington tractors are like it. Is it a common trait of these 300-400 AC's? There doesn't seem to be any damage or excessive wear that would make it like this.

20231018_155654_resized.jpg

20231018_161154_resized.jpg

• Haha 1

I think a PO replaced the spindles with “Simplicity” ones. If I remember correctly, years ago I tried to replace a damaged front spindle on my AC Hommie, the angle(s) were different and resulted in a camber issue. 

I may have a pic somewhere, I’ll have to look. 

21 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

I think a PO replaced the spindles with “Simplicity” ones.

AHA! That actually occurred to me as I was writing up this post. That makes sense since the front axle beam is a different design but similar to the Simplicity ones. It doesn't appear much can be done about it - like trying to change the angle - because of the well-reinforced design.

I have only looked briefly at the 416 since I got it, but it seems they almost deliberately altered things slightly to make them meet the their perception of the monopoly breakup. Some are irritating, like, the seat pan doesn't lift up for access to the running gear.

The PO did several mods to the 416 - it is set up for a Ford/Jacobsen snow thrower, and a John Deere deck run off an electric pto on front of the engine. Also I think the BGB was replaced - it has an orphan shaft sticking out the left side. Or did they have a pulley with mule drive there?

22 minutes ago, AC710 said:

Also I think the BGB was replaced - it has an orphan shaft sticking out the left side. Or did they have a pulley with mule drive there?

On those tractors a pulley would be added to the left side shaft  to drive rear power take off attachments. The engagement clutch is on the attachment.

If you look, the shaft should have a full length keyway on it and also threads on the end of the shaft. Same gearbox/shaft  as you would find on a 3416. The AC Homelites are the same

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhanDad said:

I may have a pic somewhere

Have a pic of Homelite spindles on my 75th as opposed to the other way around:

WithHomeliteSpindles2.thumb.jpg.640540432e3ad88b0e926c7ae34cbb49.jpg

3 hours ago, AC710 said:

Also I think the BGB was replaced - it has an orphan shaft sticking out the left side.

3 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

If you look, the shaft should have a full length keyway on it and also threads on the end of the shaft.

IMG_8277c.JPG.c3358d2698fe977a2625732faa863080.JPG

IMG_8289a.JPG.cfb47a9bbe53863cc55db38007c25e89.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

If you look, the shaft should have a full length keyway on it and also threads on the end of the shaft. Same gearbox/shaft  as you would find on a 3416. The AC Homelites are the same

Probably that's what it is. There weren't any rear mounted attachments with it, so it may never have been outfitted with the pulley. I'll look tomorrow in the daylight.

35 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

The camber appears normal for a 400 series. 

That would agree with PhanDad's photo - his would be the 400 spindles on a Simplicity axle. I wonder why they did that?

I'm not sure I can resurrect this machine. I know it has been sitting in a shed for more than 20 years. It is mostly complete except belts and deteriorated fuel lines, wiring, ammeter, and other easily replaceable parts. The steering gear bolt was busted and I fixed that. I am hoping that was the reason they parked it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

If you look, the shaft should have a full length keyway on it and also threads on the end of the shaft.

Yep, that's it exactly. Guess these were before they developed the BGB cone clutch PTO.

Others can weigh in but I believe it was just another part of the differences that had form simplicity machines in order to satisfy the government over their monopoly accusations. 

4 hours ago, AC710 said:

Yep, that's it exactly. Guess these were before they developed the BGB cone clutch PTO.

The 410 and 416 were being made at the same time Simplicity was making the 3416.

There were a number of common parts between Allis Chalmers, Homelite, and Simplicity during the "anti trust"  time period 1971- 1974.  There were also a number of 1/2 year production changes as well

If I have it right, the hitch spacings for Allis and  Allis Built Homelites were different than Hitch spacings for Simplicity from 71-73 1/2. This so attachments would not interchange.  When 73 1/2 rolled around the hitch spacings all became the same again.  So, both the Allis and Homelite tractors went through some re-design for 73 1/2 -74. In addition to the hitch spacings being changed,  Homelites got thinner metal in the frames , a different front axle, and a round tube rear lift with the same diameter as Simplicity. Allis 300 series became the 400 series and also got a rear lift tube with the same diameter as Simplicity.

Then in 1975 Allis ceased garden tractor production at Lexington, and it all went back to Port Washington. The tractors for all three names became pretty much the same tractors with minor cosmetic differences.

If anyone finds fault with any of the above please  say so and why.  Its hard to nail down what changes took place and  exactly when for the time period in question. The above is the best I have come up with  in the last 20+ years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SmilinSam said:

This so attachments would not interchange. 

The government makes for strange bedfellows. I don't really think AC was on a good track with some of the engineering and design changes at Lexington. The un-breakup brought them back to the superior Sovereign series and its offshoots.

For my particular 416, the PO didn't seem to worry much about interchangeable attachments, from different manufacturers, even. Fortunately, he was a pretty good backyard engineer, welder and mechanic.

• Like 1