Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar engine doesn't turn over

TooMuchSpaghetti

TooMuchSpaghetti

Hello,

Tractor novice here. Any advice is appreciated. I have a 90s Sunstar with a 20 HP Kohler Magnum engine. It had been blowing or leaking oil, not sure which. Couldn't tell where it was coming from. The top of the engine was covered with oil and it dripped down so it didn't appear to be leaking from the filter or covers. I thought it maybe had a clogged breather? I got the engine cleaned up. Installed new air filter and cleaned the  oil cooler. New battery. Old one didn't seem to hold a charge. However, when it did hold a charge the tractor started ok. When I try to start it now, it turns over maybe once, then gives out. 

The transmission has been off a bit and needed adjusted after I replaced the transmission control arm that broke. I haven't adjusted the neutral yet. Like when it's in neutral, it will creep forward. Anyway, it never seemed to keep the tractor from starting. Any chance the transmission alignment has gotten out of place enough the tractor doesn't think it's in "neutral" and won't start?

So, I'm not sure where to begin or what or how to test anything. Might it be a solenoid or the ignition or the starter? And is there a way to test those? I have the Kohler engine manual and they were talking about making an ignition tester but I was kinda confused by their explanation for building one.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to start I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Chris

Ronald Hribar

Did you change oil?

was it over full?

pull spark plugs and try starting engine

if gas comes out spark plug holes you should put a fuel shutoff on fuel line

Make sure the plug wires are nowhere near to anything metal as a spark could ignite any fuel coming out the plug holes.  Or have a change of underwear nearby!

Not that it happens very often, but even "new" batteries can be bad. Maybe take it back to where you bought it and have it tested ? Napa, Auto zone, Advance and O'reilly's around here will  test a battery free of charge. Even if they didn't sell it.

That would imo be the starting point. Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

TooMuchSpaghetti

I didn't change the oil yet  I bought filters and oil but I topped it off and was going to do a full maintenance on it when I adjusted the neutral position. I put too much oil in it I'm pretty sure.

I'll pull the plugs and start the engine and see what happens, thank you. 

I'll be careful and try not to blow myself up. 

I thought about the battery. I tested it with a voltmeter and got 12.6 volts. It's a new NAPA battery but I'll take it for a test if it fails after I pull the plugs and try to start it.

I'll be back. I won't probably have time for a couple of days.

Thanks all  for the help.

TooMuchSpaghetti

I pulled the plugs and the old ones looked rough but they still had some spark. I put new ones in anyway. When the plugs were out of the block, the engine seemed to crank nicely. It turned over and continued to turn over until I stopped turning the key. No gas came out of spark plug holes.

I put the new plugs in and it turned over once when I tried to start it but then made a sound kind of a whirr sound and stopped turning over. Without the plugs in the block it turned over continously. Engine did not start. Tractor is full of fresh fuel. I removed some of the oil so it has the proper amount. That battery seemed to have plenty of juice but I'm trickle charging it tonight anyway.NAPA isn't open around here until Monday but I can take the battery back to them to test just in case.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Chris