Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Member 2010 Tranny Question

PhanDad

In a new post by a new member, I somehow deleted the entire post while editing my response. 

I apologize.  A great welcome for a new member.  sm02

The question concerned installing a 725 tranny into a 2010(12?). 

I believe you can.     @Bill725 and other more knowledgeable than I can confirm. 

The part number differences are probably due to the older tranny used bushings rather than needle bearings.  There are some posts about this difference.  @Bill725 wrote them and hopefully has links to them. 

• Like 1

From my understanding of looking for a trans/bgb for my 725 frame. Any fdt three speed can be a direct swap. Even the variable speeds can be used, by I believe by swapping the variable pulley system out for a regular 3-spd pulley. The rbt 3-spd will not work as it will elongate the length, and the seat-pan will have issues fitting back.

6 hours ago, Austin said:

From my understanding of looking for a trans/bgb for my 725 frame. Any fdt three speed can be a direct swap. Even the variable speeds can be used, by I believe by swapping the variable pulley system out for a regular 3-spd pulley. The rbt 3-spd will not work as it will elongate the length, and the seat-pan will have issues fitting back.

All of the variable speed models are long wheelbase. The input shaft on the transmission is also several inches longer than a standard three speed and is threaded on the end. As far as 725 versus Landlord, the axle tube is not as heavy duty. On the 700/725 the axle tube is several inches shorter as on the left side it is flush with the transmission case and the bare axle shaft runs out to the wheel. 

Other key piece of info needed is whether they want to change the transmission only, or swap complete from bevel gear box backward. You can use the 700/725 transmission and BGB on a round hood Landlord but just note that it doesn’t have the full length tube as original. 

@Bill725 will explain about the needle bearings. 

• Like 1

According to my research, all of the old, pre variable and hydro, 3-speed transaxles have axle tube bushings except for the 2210 and the equivalent B-110 which has needle bearings. I had the transaxle case bored for needle bearings on my 725 and used 2210 transaxles in both of my 2010s.

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 4