Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller to flail mower

ParkerBarker

9 hours ago, ParkerBarker said:

Anyone aware of a 38" HD tiller converted to a flail mower?

I have not.  That being said, I don't think I could bring myself to perform such an atrocity to an H.D. Tiller. And I'm fairly liberal.  The issue is the flail mower has to spin faster than the tiller.  The one I have is for a 3-point. So there is a calculation of gear ratio in the box as well as the belt pulleys.  In your case, it would just be the chain sprockets which I would convert to belt pulleys & belt.  Flail Master would be the best place to source the flails & other components & possibly Alamo as they bought out Mott in the 80's or 90's.  On a long shot, there are Mott mowers out there that were made for the FDTs.  Some more rare than others but definitely out there.  Others will chime in who have more insight.

• Like 2

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm not quite sure what the axle looks like on the tiller; I'm picturing something like the snowblower augers, which are essentially thick walled tube stock with milled pins in the end, which ride in bearings.  If that's the case, why not just fab up a new axle and weld on the brackets for attaching the flail knives.  Then you have two machines (tiller and flail mower) that only occupy the storage space for one attachment!  You'll need to be careful to copy each bracket closely and layout smartly to keep it well balanced, but that doesn't seem too difficult.  Nor is sourcing a smaller drive sprocket and shorter roller chain.

I actually have an old blower that is destined to become a 3pt tiller later this Spring.  I'm almost done articulating a "pair" of 712's (The Chore-Handler) and hope to use it for a variety of property tasks.  Now you have me thinking about a flail axel, too...

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 7:48 PM, ShaunE said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly what he said.

Ditto...

I would have a REAL aversion to chopping on a $500-$600 attachment thats not easy to get in the first place.

• Like 3