Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JDreher

Flat mower blades

JDreher
Any suggestions on where to purchase flat mower blades for my 48" sunstar mower deck? I would like the deck to operate like a rotary cutter, or brush hog, and only cut the grass once, rather than chopping it up. The reason for this is I have a 3 acre pasture that I mow twice a year to keep the trees and woody brush out of. With the standard blades with the sweep at the tip, the high grass clogs the discharge chute a fair amount. I figure with the flat blades the grass will drop where it's cut, and not be blown out the discharge chut. If I can't purchase the flat blades, I can just cut off the turned up tip. Thanks, John

UCD
I think what you want is a sickle bar mower. A rotary mower even with flat blades is going to chop it up before it kicks it out the chute. Run your mower on its high setting and go a little slower. Wait until the grass is real dry and maybe mow three times a year. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

BigSix
Plus, not to be a nayesayer, but even if you just cut off the tips, leaving the full diameter "sweep" of the blade, that would still mean rebalancing, and not in the typical fashion, IMHO. One other dangerous suggestion you probably should reject: my 1960 Model # 190 42" mower is currently (from the previous owner) sans the "end plate" on the nondischarge side of the deck, and also minus the "toe bar" (for lack of the proper term) that keeps errant feet from entering the discharge chute. In other words, we could wave at each other, from opposite sides, if we were both searching for the same quarter somebody dropped under the tractor. I don't know how much they clog with these goodies in place, but I plan to find out. Perhaps taking a few bolts out to remove one or both of these would make it clog less? Seems too dangerous to me, however, so I'm reinstalling these pieces ASAP, as I have recently acquired both pieces. I feel bad even suggesting you remove either one, but I suspect that the toe bar alone probably would make more of a difference than removing the endplate. Maynard's got the right ideas, I'd say.

UCD
Plus cutting the tips of would create more of a problem. Those tips are there to create air flow to get the debris out from under the deck. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD