Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lawn sweeper issue

landlord2110

My lawn sweeper teeth pictured is meant to go forward with brushes turning & when you push backwards the brushes don't turn. After a while one side or the other side eventually turs loose so the teeth are spinning loosely & brushes don't turn. My friend tried welding so both directions your turning brushes, but didn't hold. The end of the shift has a clip that pries apart- if I take that off, can you lock so both directions turn brushes? I don't have anything to remove clip.

20231124_100523.jpg

20231124_100509.jpg

All of the sweepers I have had only sweep going forward. Also, one wheel has to release while turning due to the difference in wheel turning radius. Looks like an Agri-Fab. The only Agri-Fab sweeper worth a damn is there big orange one. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bill725 said:

Also, one wheel has to release while turning due to the difference in wheel turning radius.

I tried locking up both wheels, and it just makes a mess. It is like a car or tractor without a differential - one wheel is always sliding unless you are going perfectly straight. And if they're locked up and sliding, that means the brushes don't turn. My solution was to replace the worn parts (DOH!) Works great now. ...and it is one of the cheapie agri-fabs.

Took snap ring off & went to hardware store & bought longer solid 1/4" steel shaft & ground down to right length so the  brushes are turning both directions. AC710 is probably right with one wheel sliding while turning. I will test & let you know the results. 

Here's pictures of teeth gear for lawn sweeper with 1/4" steel shaft. Tried a trial run and works great forward but putting back in shed, it catches somehow & you wrestle with it before it goes backwards.

20231125_130641.jpg

Image_1700936715042.jpg

The pin you are making is still a tad long.  It runs the brushes in reverse now because it can't slide along the cam (curve) without binding against the other end prematurely and getting hung up.  If you had trouble backing it in the shed, it might be actually using end play in the shaft in order to slip to the next indent, which may be slightly larger and thus more forgiving?..

By using a shorter pin, you get the ability to back up without spinning brushes as designed.  Your original pin may have been too soft (or brittle?), as evidenced by the sheared end.  If you have more of the round stock you bought, try making a pin that's only 1/8 longer than the original and see how that performs.  You'll want to bevel the ends slightly to help movement inside the cast piece.

Happy tinkering!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello;

My agrifab was a mess and when I got into it, turns out that the slider pin that is located on the inside of that gear was totally locked up. Took a while but after soaking it and working the pin back and forth got it working again. Also greased it up good to help the assembly last longer. if those two drive gears cannot freewheel it won't work right. Hope this helps !

• Like 1