Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ready for snow

steve-wis

The sovereign is a “ winter only” tractor so it’s always ready for snow .  I sold the Allis 919 I used for plowing and also sold the Agco-Allis 918 this summer, so the mowing tractor (627) is now the winter backup.  I had everything here but hadn’t been used in years, so I rebuilt the 32 inch blower  and got it set up on the tractor today.  

Gonna run the 627 some for sure just for fun.  Has anyone ever built a cab for the little guys like the 627?  Thinking I might tackle that next summer.

posted a few pics of the blower after rebuild.  I added a one inch square tube riser to the shoes, I’ll use this in the back where it is crushed rock and I don’t want to blow stones.

Steve

IMG_2315.jpeg

IMG_2316.jpeg

IMG_2317.jpeg

IMG_2300.jpeg

IMG_2299.jpeg

IMG_2296.jpeg

IMG_2294.jpeg

IMG_2301.jpeg

• Like 7

The little guys are great for sidewalks and tight places

Had my snow crew all winter geared up  since mid October. Yesterday was the first use. 2" of wet snow saw the Sunstar out with the blade to clear off in front of the machine shed where the water runs through.

• Like 3

Ready for snow?  I was then I needed the bucket on my BX to move some wood pellets, so off goes the plow and the bucket goes back on. Now the tractor is back waiting for snow, but the plow is sitting in the side yard. So before it snows I need to swap the bucket for the plow again..

So no I am not ready…….

Rick

Nice fleet. All ready for the supposed bad weather to come this winter. I was ready a few weeks back. Up until this week when the Landlord 101 hydro decided that it was going to start leaking. And not a small leak. It's a leak all the fluid out, when I'm not looking leak. So it's parked till it gets warmer and I can clean it up to pinpoint my leak. Now I'm out of machines as my 917 hydro is also down. Sorry for the rant, nice winter crew.

• 1 month later...

Looks great. What is the white "plastic sheet " between the two parts of the spout? I don't have that on any of my  four  snow blowers.

thanks for all the good tips  . idid all of them after i read the article. THANK YOU !

another mod i did a few years back was to have a friend make stainless skid shoes. these things will last forever. i have another set mounted.

001.JPG

002.JPG

Edited by irvtoms
  • Like 4

Ready for snow.  Hmmm.   Don't know about you guys, but we have not had any measurable snow this season.  All set up and ready and not a snow flake to move.  SE Wisconsin, and it seems to be less and less every year.  Last year I think I had maybe 5 or 6 times all season that I need to get out there, and of that, not one heavy blizzard type storm.  I am certain we will get some before spring, but it sure is different than it used to be.  Those skids will in fact last forever at this rate!

Chris727
1 minute ago, Brettw said:

Ready for snow.  Hmmm.   Don't know about you guys, but we have not had any measurable snow this season.  All set up and ready and not a snow flake to move.  SE Wisconsin, and it seems to be less and less every year.  Last year I think I had maybe 5 or 6 times all season that I need to get out there, and of that, not one heavy blizzard type storm.  I am certain we will get some before spring, but it sure is different than it used to be.  Those skids will in fact last forever at this rate!

No measurable snow here for several years also. Snow equipment is only going to be worth scrap metal price anymore, at least in this region. I remember the snows in the ‘80s, ‘90s were impressive. Still had decent snows three years ago. 

2 hours ago, Chris727 said:

I remember the snows in the ‘80s, ‘90s were impressive.

Youngster!

More snows in the '50's and 60's - don't remember much about the 50's snows, but I do the '60's.  

And it was also a lot colder back in those days;  Ponds were freezing up just after Thanksgiving and ice skating was a thing most kids did then .The creek took a bit longer and with the thaws common weren't always safe to skate on.  

As to snows - none last year to play in.  But the area is ahead of last year's - 0.1" back in November when it was colder than it is now.  

I can remember when we got snow at Thanksgiving and it stayed white till spring in the 50s

NO SNOW here at all so far. And I like it that way. Only blew out the driveway three times last winter. Hope it's zero times this winter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Dave,

Some of us like snow and enjoy clearing the driveway, walkway, front porch, etc!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48prerunner

Supposed to get up to 7" Sat night. As for a cab for the 627 I think it is similar to the system 5008 I just picked up. I always wanted a cab from years of blowing with  the 3012v . I picked this up at home depot for $100. Is the universal walk behind. I mounted the bar that goes across the handle bars to the foot rests with just two 1" pipe clamps and four bolts. Out back I used those spring type clips you use to hold tools on tool boars. Just pop the sides out of the clips and the whole thing rotates forward  to get on the seat. then rotate it back towards you and clip the back tubes in. I still need to open it up a little more than the stock zipper for the hood. The whole thing just lifts off if you need to open the hood. As of now need to raise blower to rotate shute, reach under the cab. power window motor is on my next mod list.

cab.jpg

• Like 4

SmilinSam

I managed to give the Sunstar a workout once this year so far. Had around 3" I bladed away from the doors and lot on & in front of the machine shed.

Like everyone indicates, remember much colder winters and deeper snows in decades past.

Warmer temps and less snows is the norm and going to continue to be the norm for quite a number of generations. 3 decades ago I learned in college that we are coming off an ice age and have been for thousands of years.  The norm in the median between ice ages is  NO polar ice caps, rising oceans, and much warmer temps even up closer to the planets poles.

I dont know what the TV news people  and acadamia is teaching these days with all the hype of man made global warming....but its not reality.

@PhanDad,

Checked the forecast for Saturday into Sunday?

I guess the potential will force me into rearranging tractor garage, putting cab on the XL, de-mounting the loader, and mounting the rubber edged blade onto the XL.

I have a rubber edged blade on the 716-6 spd, but potential for 10+ " total puts it over what I like to push with a manual lift tractor. 

It is counter balanced but with the XL why work so hard.

The predicted snow might be heavy, as the snow may go back to rain as the storm blows thru.

OF course that is today's forecast, who knows what they will say tomorrow.

1 hour ago, SmilinSam said:

Warmer temps and less snows is the norm and going to continue to be the norm for quite a number of generations. 3 decades ago I learned in college that we are coming off an ice age and have been for thousands of years.  The norm in the median between ice ages is  NO polar ice caps, rising oceans, and much warmer temps even up closer to the planets poles.

I dont know what the TV news people  and acadamia is teaching these days with all the hype of man made global warming....but its not reality.

Agreed, Sam.  Anyone who can argue, with a straight face, that there is no climate change and it's all a bunch of lies and fake news, is simply ignoring the facts right in front of their face.  There is no question it is changing.  It has cycled back and forth for millions of years.  Now, whether it is a man made event, partially a man made event, or man has nothing at all to do with it is another discussion all together.  However, denying it is changing is factually incorrect.  

3 hours ago, GregB said:

Checked the forecast for Saturday into Sunday?

Yep - it's depressing. 

Unfortunately the ocean temperature is in the upper forties, five or six degrees above normal.  So....

It's hard for me to get snow with the ocean that warm.  Forecast is for about an 3/4 inch of rain with the storm ending with an inch or less of snow (which will probably only be on grass areas).  

Both daughters are farther west (near Frederick MD) and north (near Hazleton PA) and should get "tractorable" snow.  

But all hope is not lost; sometimes I get snow when they think rain - it's all about how much that pesky ocean temperature effects the rain/snow line.  

Weather channel changed forecast again.

1-3 during day and 1-3 overnight Saturday, rain also.

Probably end up as nothing................

At my house in the northern Rockies just below a ski area, I've said for 37 years "snow to stay by Christmas". This year we have only a dribble with grass sticking through. Starting tonight it is supposed to begin snowing for a week. That's not unusual, I often have to plow a few inches every day for a week or two nearly every winter. If I don't keep up, it makes a mess of packed snow and ice. I agree 100% with the observation that warming is real, but the reasons are debatable. The Montana ski areas will be happy - they're hurting more than usual this season.

Funny how peoples' memories change over time. I have an elderly friend (He's 85, I'm 72) who asserts that the snow was waist high nearly every winter, and much, much colder than now. Checking the weather records, there have been only two winters in our neck of the woods that come close to his observations. I just assume they were more memorable than the average knee-high, bone-chilling ones. Since the mid 2000's decade, things have been noticeably drier and warmer. The winter of '96 was bad for snow. I was marking timber sales that year, and we found a dead deer about every 100 yards in a wintering area - too much snow, no food access. So sad!

1 hour ago, AC710 said:

The winter of '96 was bad for snow.

Interesting.  Biggest local snowfall was about 30" on Jan 23,1996.  When I went to bed, the forecast was for about a foot.  Quite surprised the next morning.  Official snowfall was 27.6" in Phila.  That first pass with the B-110 36" snowblower was tough. 

54 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

That first pass with the B-110 36" snowblower was tough. 

Back then I was still moving snow with an old 28" Toro walk-behind blower. I didn't have any tractors, yet. It was worthy and up to the task, however, It had a sloppy wheel-drive-sprocket hub that would shear off roll pins about twice a winter. I got so I could drop the underbelly pan and replace it in about 20 minutes. I finally went to using grade 8 bolts for pins. Then it would only shear them off once a winter.