Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 (60") vs 7016 (48") Cut Quality

TheMike

Anybody with real-world experience that can offer some pro/cons on the 60" 9020 mower cut quality versus that of a 48" deck on a 7016/sovereign etc? 

I am quite certain you will have a better cut with the 48" deck.  It always seems the smaller the deck the better the cut.  I still think the best cut I have ever had was from a 60's Yeoman with a 3 blade 30" deck.  The Broadmoors of that era with a 36" deck were incredible too.  JMHO

• Like 2

First thing I would ask is how much acreage & how many obstructions. The 9020 does a fine job with crisp stripes & gains you a foot in every pass. Great for large open areas. However not the best choice if you have to maneuver around a lot of obstructions. The 7016 is much more nimble & will give you a better “quality” cut as the wheel base is much shorter with a tighter turning radius. If your 9020 has the original Onan, your fuel consumption will be noticeably higher. I love my Powermax tractors but don’t mow my yard with them. I have too many trees. My Sovereign tractors do my mowing. I will even go out on a limb & say I prefer the cut quality of the 42” deck better than the 48”.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ShaunE said:

First thing I would ask is how much acreage & how many obstructions. The 9020 does a fine job with crisp stripes & gains you a foot in every pass. Great for large open areas. However not the best choice if you have to maneuver around a lot of obstructions. The 7016 is much more nimble & will give you a better “quality” cut as the wheel base is much shorter with a tighter turning radius. If your 9020 has the original Onan, your fuel consumption will be noticeably higher. I love my Powermax tractors but don’t mow my yard with them. I have too many trees. My Sovereign tractors do my mowing. I will even go out on a limb & say I prefer the cut quality of the 42” deck better than the 48”.

Yes the 42" doesn't have the issue of the tire flattening the grass ahead of the deck on the discharge side sometimes causing a partially uncut strip as the 48" does. 

• Like 3

I appreciate you fellers. I've been fightin' the urge to buy another tractor that I don't need lol. I've always wanted a Powrmax but I don't have a job for it except mowing (2000 rpm implements..... All of mine are 540 farm tractor stuff).. I guess I could pull a little grader blade with it or something....and it doesn't snow enough here in TN to go hunting a snow blower for it. I guess I'll stick with the 7016 and the Ingersoll for mowing. Merry Christmas to y'all and thanks again. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheMike said:

I've always wanted a Powrmax but I don't have a job for it except mowing

I would never discourage anyone from an additional tractor purchase however, the Powermax hole is dark, deep & can be an expensive one. And they take up more real estate than their little brothers. Depending on what attachments you focus on obtaining, you may need more than one. Say if you have one dedicated to a loader & or backhoe, changing attachments isn’t terrible, but it’s not a 30 second job either. Onan engines can be very expensive & are no longer supported very easily. Then you take into consideration these haven’t been produced since 1982 or so. The parts availability is almost exclusively the used market. They are incredibly addictive & tons of fun & they seem to be plentiful so deals can be had. Do your homework & be selective on your purchase is the best advice I can give if you decide to take the plunge. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For fast mowing you can't beat the power max mine has newer engine swap after the Onan caught on fire. In high gear hard to stay seated if lawn is bumpy. Like was said if not great for tight spots. I have not had anything that mows as nice as the 3012 think it has to do with how the mower is mounted.  I've been looking for a snowblower for the power max for at least  seven years can't find one near me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
jlasater

I have a 9020 (two, actually) and a 716H with the 48" deck. While both models mow nice, I swear I could mow a golf course with the 9020. I frequently get compliments on how nice yards look after being mowed with that tractor. Yes, it will lay down the grass if it's pretty Tall, but a normal once-a-week mowing looks very very good. The 716H does a nice job, but in my experience, not as nice as the 9020.

• Like 1