Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign Steering Wheel Removal

gwiseman

I need to tighten the throttle nut, check the wires on the voltmeter, and I think I have a dash decal if I can find it. So, while laid up with foot surgery/recovery I decided to try my hand at pulling the steering wheel off my power steering Sovereign. Worked just like @maxwood steering wheel removal power steering sovereign - Talking Tractors - Simple trACtors  I soaked it w/Kroil but wish I'd wasted PB Blaster instead. I used a bearing separater and a pair of 2 legged pullers I'd bought at an auto parts store. Right off the bat I chucked the cheap pullers bc the screw bent. I searched and bought Blackhawk #1010 USA made 2 legged pullers off Marketplace for a good price.

IMG_1174.jpg.d8d6bcfefb81ddabe0466ef2321a02db.jpgIMG_1175.jpg.0e519ac77dc8501989bca59764a04834.jpg

Steering wheel came off the metal center. Must have pulled a bit off center yielding a dent in the post. 

IMG_1176.jpg.6d899e6f2eb7cd42ccb4fbcb46c8638e.jpg

The metal cog center was easy to pull off the splined shaft. 

IMG_1178.jpg.009d3e6fd293f97facee38e5407a4e8b.jpg

• Like 3

When I brought my DA 1920 home, the wind blew the plastic dash lights panels off.  Found a dash on ebay. But first I have to get the steering wheel off. No go! Contacted the seller to see if he could remove the dash light panels and I'd just buy them, save big shipping costs! He was good with that, we made a deal.  When I got the panels I glued them onto the dash.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris727 said:

I didn't know the steering wheel was so different on these later power steering -equipped models. 

They’re a bugger. Very fine spline & usually rusted on. The gear you see on @gwiseman’s orbital valve is supposed to stay in the steering wheel. I’m sure it can be pressed back in the plastic with a bit of epoxy. I’ve heard stories about setting up a puller & adding heat with violent results but never experienced it before until one of these came along. Orbital valve came into my possession with that gear still on. Installed the puller, added heat & that sucker went flying across the garage floor. Anti-seize is your friend when putting back together.

• Like 6

A lot of Deere tractors use the same type splined shaft and splined steering wheel.  They aren't exactly the same as the Simplicity steering wheels but are cheaper and more plentiful.  666

Edited by CarlH
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CarlH said:

A lot of Deere tractors use the same type splined shaft and splined steering wheel.  They aren't exactly the same as the Simplicity steering wheels but are cheaper and more plentiful.  666

got one coming @CarlH

I put a deere valve and steering wheel into my 712h.  It looks exactly like yours, albeit a bit longer.  Even though I have taken the wheel off multiple times and have copper anti-seize applied, I always have to use a puller.  The shaft appears to have a slight taper, which along with the splines, creates lots of holding power.  Add some rust into the mix and it makes sense why  yours is acting up.  Has anyone had adverse effects due to heating these?  I haven't opened the shaft to shorten mine yet, but I'm assuming there's a bearing right under the cap...

• Like 2

Hello, I just glued and  pressed the cogged insert back into the steering wheel .

I used E6000 industrial adhesive  , and have had no problems.

I have an extra steering wheel for the power steering , but it has a crack in the rim .

The dash on power steering tractors , has the hole offset to allow clearance for the power steering unit. Where the  manual steering dash the hole is centered.

Thanks Ken in Mi

Edited by maxwood
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Josh S. said:

I haven't opened the shaft to shorten mine yet, but I'm assuming there's a bearing right under the cap...

Shafts and columns are available in different lengths on eBay.  Easy to change.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Didn’t like the fit of the Deere wheel. Rubbed on the collar on the column. Pressed the steel sleeve back into the old Sovereign steering wheel, glued it (thanks @maxwood) and it feels much better! 2 reasons: 1.) steering wheel sets higher off my legs and 2.) doesn’t rub the collar under it. I back a 2wheel trailer into the garage and was having trouble w/steering wheel sticking. Guess I’ll put the Deere wheel back on eBay 

IMG_1221.jpeg

• Like 9