Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What was lost is found.

Sovereignm88

Sovereignm88

The moment I loaded the Sovereign into the back of his truck, I regretted my decision to sell it.

In the fall of 2000,  I purchased a power steering Sovereign.  I asked the selling dealer to keep it in the crate, since I knew that this was the last year of production for the Sovereign. The original dealer (which I do business with) did a dealer trade with the selling dealer (I still do business with) of four Sovereign’s.  Due to the problems with the Triad. 

I carefully prepped the mower for storage, removing the plastic and covered the crate with plywood and placing the mower in my loft. After a little while, the selling dealer contacted me.  He told me, “he was talking to Simplicity about the mower I bought and they informed me, that mower was the last power steering Sovereign off the assembly line”. Wow!  I thought what luck. I asked him to please, contact Simplicity to get this in writing (which they never did and to this day I don’t know why). 

About 5 years past and a gentleman contacted me about the mower and wanted to know if I would sell it.   At that time, I was in the process of thinning the herd and I told him what I thought was a ridiculously high price for it.  Next thing I know, he informed me that he is on his way here to purchase the mower.  

Several years past, I was at the selling dealer’s store and I asked him whatever happened to the mower.  He told me that the owner recently passed away and he wasn’t sure if his wife kept the mower or sold it.   In the meantime, I was at the original dealers store and he informed me that they were going to an auction close by.  Because, he needed inventory after his original shop burned to the ground.  A while passed, my son and I were looking at his auction purchases.  I asked the original dealer where the auction was, he told me his name and town, it was the gentleman who bought the mower.  I told  my son I think that is the one that got away, the one I had in the crate.  When we got home I got out some old pictures of it   Went back to the dealer to check the numbers and sure enough that was the one!

Unfortunately, I was not in a position to purchase the mower.  So, I drove it and sat on it for a while and thought that would be the end.  He didn’t sell the mower for about 3 years.  Every time,  I went there I would look hoping it would still be there and to my delight it was.   Having 3 kids in college, the funds definitely weren’t there.  Then one day to my disappointment,  the mower was sold.  I told the dealer to keep tabs on it and maybe someday,  I would be able to buy it from the owner when he was done with it.   Next thing I know it’s back, the owner had problems with the engine bellowing smoke.  They thought the engine was toast, when in actuality the sump filled up with gas and burned off the fuel.  The original dealer traded him mowers and there it was back again, a little rougher than she deserved, but it was available.  He had the mower for more than a year, I asked how much he wanted for it.  I began saving for it.  Fast forward to the week between Christmas and New Year’s, my son is on Christmas shutdown at his job.  He pulls in the driveway with three Sovereign’s in tow .  Two that needed work and one in above average condition.  I asked him where he picked those up from and he told me.  The original dealer, I asked him if that was the one and he said yes!  I told him congratulations!  I’ll help you get it cleaned up.   He looks at me and said “Dad, I bought that for you”.  Words cannot express how I felt at that moment.  The Sovereign, was finally back home and there’s no way that I am letting it go.  When I am no longer here,  my son will have the last power steering Sovereign off the assembly line.  

Side note: After I cleaned it up, my son and I added the back work light, engine baffles from a 75th Anniversary tractor that was being parted out.  As well as a “tuff seat”, the original one is in pretty bad shape and hub caps.  It has 157 hours on it.  I know this story should be in show and tell .  Since, I am not a paying member it wouldn’t let me.

Thanks for reading my story,

Mark

65168572-F6D8-43EC-B1CB-1C9013A11191.jpeg

F7492A44-AA38-4933-A42A-70ABD1C77614.jpeg

DC87AF2A-B20B-4F36-922A-B320CCB509A8.jpeg

44F73D75-6A7E-4A22-98FC-F9DD5F503A0F.jpeg

28C62083-9C3C-408B-BE2C-127684087EE7.jpeg

EBE9BD0B-15E2-4108-A674-B6E35C86B15F.jpeg

221EC7BA-9485-4472-B47C-1CF9DD4DFCE1.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Great story, especially that it worked out so well.  I have one in my fleet that I never let go, and it's next home will be my son's place also.

Let me guess the dealer, Dambman Lawn Mower Hospital in Polo, IL. If so, Gene and Jared are wonderful people.

Sovereignm88

You are correct.  Come to find out, my son bought it a month before he brought it home. Jared was hoping that I was going to “ buy it” before my son picked it up.  He wanted to tell me it was sold!  They were both very happy that I got it back.  Gene wasn’t thrilled it still has the Triad in it. 

• Like 2

Chris727

Looks immaculate! Great that you have a picture of it in the crate. 

Sovereignm88

Thank you!  It didn’t look this good when my son first bought it home. It needed buffing and polishing. 

One thing I found interesting, is the fact I was able to keep tabs on where it was for all those years.  I guess it was meant to be. 

gwiseman

Welcome and thanks for this story. I had a chance to buy one of the last Sovereigns sold locally in 2001 but opted for a new Conquest bc of foot operation. That Conquest served me well but in hindsight I wish...

Oh, and you'll find the $10 membership is well worth it too. gw

• Like 2