Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Sovereign 1996 lift problem

Gcabinet1

Gcabinet1

Hi guys

So was doing the driveway today and the hydraulic lift stopped working 

where should I start to diagnose the problem?

don’t really know much about these
thanks for the help 

SmilinSam

If it was working without problems and suddenly stopped, I would check the control linkage first.

If it was starting to work slower than it should periodically and just got worse, I'd check and make sure that the filter on the transmission was not an aftermarket automotive oil filter. Usually if oil restriction is a problem there would also be other hydrostatic related probles showing up.

Of course one should also check to make sure theres plenty of oil in the transmission up to where its supposed to be..

Could also be an internal problem with the lift valve.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

Gcabinet1

I noticed it was working slowly and the filter that is on it

when I got it was an engine filter I think maybe a stens

but will have to check it tomorrow 

not sure if this would have anything to do with it , I took

the the two large nuts that have the small valves that put into free

wheel Off because they where not coming back up on there own

SmilinSam
17 minutes ago, Gcabinet1 said:

I noticed it was working slowly and the filter that is on it

when I got it was an engine filter I think maybe a stens

but will have to check it tomorrow 

not sure if this would have anything to do with it , I took

the the two large nuts that have the small valves that put into free

wheel Off because they where not coming back up on there own

Stens probably mkes the right ones. Wix, and Napa also make the correct ones for hydraulic applications. Just dont want a filter like a Fram on it.

The nipples on the valave you ook out need to operat freely. I have taken stuck ones out and soaked them with kroil and worked them back and forth from both sides till they free up.  You can tap from the back side if you are careful not to dmage anything. I've used  plastic punches and wood dowels to tap with. Also used metal punches, but have to be careful not o damage the valve.

If the valves are free,  control linkage is Ok, and the filter isnt an issue, then you have other problems. Someone else will have to chime in on things like that that might deal with charge pumps and such.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

Gcabinet1

One more question 

the book says to change the oil in the transmission only when

doing repairs or when the trans oil becomes discolored?

I didn’t think changing oil every now and again would hurt !

what am I missing. Does changing the filter count as “repair work”?

SmilinSam

The hydraulic oil doesn't break down like engine oil does..  In the old soveriegn styles I rarely ever changed the transmission oil, unless like the book states when it gets discolored  or if I had the hydraulic system apart. I've changed filters regularly though without changing the oil. And...when I have had similar hydraulic/transmission problems, an oil change has never fixed the problem.

On these newer tractors like the Prestiges, Conquests, and Broadmoors its a different story. These that use Tuff Torq transmissions come from the factory with a different kind of oil than Tuff Torq recommends because its expensive and the tractor manufacturers  usually stipulate cheaper oil with special additives added to it. in order to save money. Learned all that from a long discussion with a Tuff Torq Rep.  Tuff Torq recommends changing the oil after the break in period and using their expensive oil. I will state that in my experience their oil does make a difference in the transissions operation. Less noise and more responsive.

Others in here may have a different take on all this, but that's my experience anyhow.

From what @SmilinSam said above and @Chris727 said in another post about parts availability for the Prestige tractor, I’m glad I only have old iron. 

I was tempted 10 or so years ago to move to the newer style, but Sam’s early Conquest adventures made me wait. 

PS - I’m still working on growing the third arm to not miss  the newer tractor’s foot speed/direction control.  

• Haha 2