Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

12hp Cast Briggs valve guides not listed on any diagrams

Back40

Hi all, 

I just dropped a Briggs bock from the current Simplicity 2012(?) rebuild project off at the local machinest.  The gentleman dropped a new valve in the exhaust port, noted the excess play and highly recommended we replace the guides while were in there.  After a good bit of searching and a few phone calls to local Briggs service centers, I cant seem to figure out the PN for the valve guides.  I see some of the older engines were reemed out and had thinner inserts pressed in rather than new entire guides but I cant seem to find the PN or information on these either.  Any advice would be greatly appreciate.  Engine code is 300421, Type 0120 02, Cast iron 12HP being punched out to a 14HP.

Thanks much, 

-Back40

Apparently they aren't "directly" replaceable; from the old Briggs CI Engine repair manual:

65a1b6212d974_ValveGuide1.JPG.6aac96a1ce1ce09dfc117222ef17d9c6.JPG

65a1b623aa9cd_ValveGuide2a.thumb.JPG.0b396cd2aa6e613dcff303e6beae696a.JPG

Someone with more knowledge than I should confirm.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies gents!  NOS parts located and ordered. 

@PhanDad, do we have access to that service manual as members?  Seems like a mighty fine piece of documentation to have handy.

The B&S replacement valve guide is P/N 231218, which is a bronze bushing insert designed to be press fit into the original valve guide and reamed to size. The engine machine shop I use replaces the existing valve guide with a new one and reamed to size. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response, my PC died so a new machine had to be put together.  Thanks for the links @PhanDad  Ill have to reference these if the machine shop has any issues.  The current lead times on getting the block work done is several months.  Sound like the shop has a machinist out for a while following a surgery I believe.  Early April was the rough quote, just in time to amend the garden soil a bit before planting.  @Bill725, thanks as always for the PNs.  Also, your 2012 looks absolutely wonderful.  If my build turns out half as nice, Ill be a happy camper!  Thanks again guys. 

-Back40

• Like 1