Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sundstrand hydro drift when not running

GregB

A Couple of my hydro tractors will drift when on a slope, after you turn them off.

I guess they loose pressure due to wear?

Or something else?

Anyone dug into this and figured out what is worn or why the drift?

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

I can’t help you but wanted to let you know all of my hydro tractors did the same thing. 

Not at all unusual.  With enough of an incline, eventually even a new one will roll after being shut off for a while.

• PhanDad changed the title to Sundstrand hydro drift when not running

Happens to me too - some Sundstrand tractors worse than others.  I think it's a trait, kind of like the Vickers hydro marking their territory from the pintle shaft leak.   

I still remember when I got my first one, had only used gear or Vickers hydros before.  Stopped it on the front lawn hill and shut the tractor off with the hydro lever in neutral.  Thank goodness the tractor was only about 1/3 the way up the hill.  About the time I got to the top of front lawn, I hear a "pop" and the tractor rolls down the hill and over the curb undamaged.  I've never had that happen with a Vickers.  

I wonder, a "trait"?  Or the fact that they are all old.  Like 30-40 years old.

Any one buy one from new, or acquire one with low hours that can confirm it is by design not wear?

SmilinSam
11 minutes ago, GregB said:

I wonder, a "trait"?  Or the fact that they are all old.  Like 30-40 years old.

Any one buy one from new, or acquire one with low hours that can confirm it is by design not wear?

The Massey I pictured elsewhere a couple days ago would do it from new.  Pressure wont stay up forever sitting there with the engine off.  Seems though that the older ones bleed off faster. Same for the Wheel Horses I used to own.

• Like 4

ironbriggs1

Yep, just get used to setting the parking brake if you shut it off on a hill and don’t worry about it. 

It’s actually kind of handy when you want to roll them a few feet in the garage without starting the engine, no need to lift the fenders and screw around with the release valves.

• Like 2