Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
aokpops

easy starting

aokpops
Hello . I wrote about a hard starting kolher . I could not repile on the old fourm . I would just like to thank everyone who repiled . I found the problem the points where out of adjustment not much but it made a big difference . I know points are obsolete but if are working on a older tractor there something to think about . Thanks for your time pops

HubbardRA
I wouldn't rule out point ignitions. The points are mounted outside the engine on both B/S and Kohler. They are very easy to get to. I am running one of my B/S engines with battery ignition like the older Kohlers. Mag broke so I threw it away. I can put in new points and condenser in minutes. Several hours to go under the flywheel for a magneto problem, and lots more money. I would rather work on them a little more often, than to be down for days or weeks waiting for an electronic ignition part. I have a Tecumseh engine that ran fantastic till the pointless ignition died. Unfortunately the ignition is no longer manufactured and there is no retrofit. If it only had points, I could get it going again. Rod H.