Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Six speed Hi Lo shifter

Tarheel

I have been working on the 7010 six speed off and on for a bit now. Got the tiller on it and think I'm going to like it once I learn to use the manual lift ( and understand I'm no longer 40 years old). I readjusted the lift and no longer pin my leg when I lift the tiller then had to adjust once again to get the tines in the ground more. LOL But the hardest part was while I was tilling, I got to the end of the row and lifted the tiller only to find the thumb button on the lift arm stuck so I had to hold the weight. Yep, not 40 any more. Got that taken care of then wanted to shift to low and could not.

I got it back in the shop and learned that the brake band as well as the pulley brake were keeping the idler pulley arm from clearing the guide pin. There is something up with the parking brake as well. The shaft extends past the running board almost like the lever was locked . I'll have to lift the rear and remove the wheel on that side to get a good look. I took the brake link loose from the clutch spring arm and was able to shift to low then put the link back. I'll need to get this figured out as I don't want to go through that every time I want to change the hi lo.

Any input ? Thanks.

With the clutch/brake fully depressed you should be able to shift easily between hi and low. If the linkage is out of adjustment, or is not lubed, you won't be able to shift it. You need to flip up the seat pan and adjust the brake, clutch and hi/lo slider linkage in sequence according to the manual instructions. It is not difficult, but is also not intuitive. Of course, if things are worn out - like the brake lining or pulley bearings, you will need to fix those first. Here are the 4 pages of instructions if you don't have them, and a labelled photo that may help.

And...Ouch! manually lifting the tiller is a two-armed, two-footed pull! Simplicity (and I) recommended installing an electric lift for that. They are not hard to install and come up on eBay regularly, although not exactly cheap most times.

Sorry, I think I put the instruction pages in out of sequence, but the page numbers are at the bottom.

6 speed adjust 3.png

6 speed adjust 1.png

6 speed adjust 2.png

6 speed adjust 4.png

6 speed photo.png

• Like 5

The other way to make it easier would be to re-route the lift cable to allow you to put a counter weight on the front.

Later tractors had a different rock shaft to allow you to do that to use the HD Side drive tiller.  Did this on my 716-6spd.  Manual lift.  Used a Jonny Bucket to move tons of dirt, with counter weights at the rear lift.

There have been posts on this subject.

Front counter weight could be as simple as a plow blade frame and lift rod, without the plow.  Use barbell weights bolted thru the pivot point.

Edited by GregB
  • Like 3

AC710, Thanks ! That is just what I needed. I can bring that up on the computer out in the shop.

Thanks GregB, As for the lift, I may look into a counter weight but really, I feel I need the workout. I think I can manage it for now but do wish it was push instead of pull. It seems easier on my back. but I may be wrong about that as well.

Somewhere, I do have an electric lift off of an AC 416H ? I think. I have no idea if it would work or not.

Thanks for the help !

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

I think I can manage it for now but do wish it was push instead of pull.

The Rockshaft with the loop on it would make it push instead of pull. Here is a post about that.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/68518-7016-rear-lift/

Your 416 electric actuator might work, but you would need a mounting bracket for the 7010. This one for sale on eBay might work - you would need to verify.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375191415531?itmmeta=01HQEQX2QJ6HFJPHE0A9Z2YS9A&hash=item575b26aaeb:g:59cAAOSwG09lpZLI&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4MSnKZLKmn35ZM6oirAFCjOLT%2BPSQpGsjvr8ZiozSsUMYeVfRP%2BjcLaWcev2JUiDhdUVr%2BUgbiowA4kIR265I%2B%2BhhkbuIzAVJsRDpyjzpzgFPijoQkuC37CBwdw8ZTUoh5UV2psM9LGf88%2BONJXrs1%2B9KOS1PX4yZAlEoZ6a98Q5KNjhaurLzl8Zv49TODGwGiF5mfNXd7SYF4VDznyKenkSdoYmT1trj32h%2BrN4ljIhkwN33BRAXhTmgGpJotUx7hkFDjEJapQPtv6zs1Pk4FxtFEc2Jcd8gSJ4qnvq6V5i|tkp%3ABFBM_qv017tj

• Like 2

but really, I feel I need the workout.

One reason I added the electric lift is that I was doing regular snowplowing with the manual lift and found the workout to be one-sided, that is, my left shoulder hurt. 

• Like 1

@AC710 is most likely spot on with why it won’t shift between hi-lo correctly. Or it could be like the instance on my T-10. Someone had removed the hitch assembly, drilled holes, and lowered it.which in turn lowered the little bracket that keeps the selector in the ranges. Allowing it to no-longer move the idler. Took me $400+ in the shop at Sandy Lake Implement to figure that out. They were stumped till they looked at a parts machine out back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AC710 said:

One reason I added the electric lift is that I was doing regular snowplowing with the manual lift and found the workout to be one-sided, that is, my left shoulder hurt. 

That is about where I am right now. (sore shoulder)

The link with the pics of the 2 rockshafts made me wonder if I could work with different spring sizes to make a spring assist for the lift. Not that I've given up on the counterweight or the electric lift for that matter. A spring just seems quick and cheap.

4 hours ago, Austin said:

@AC710 is most likely spot on with why it won’t shift between hi-lo correctly. Or it could be like the instance on my T-10. Someone had removed the hitch assembly, drilled holes, and lowered it.which in turn lowered the little bracket that keeps the selector in the ranges. Allowing it to no-longer move the idler. Took me $400+ in the shop at Sandy Lake Implement to figure that out. They were stumped till they looked at a parts machine out back.

I think the one I have is pretty much all factory. Other than the pulley brake anyway and that is my doing. With the parking brake arm stuck as it is, the clutch can't be pressed far enough to clear the divider between hi and lo. As it sits, the parking brake doesn't even touch the running board when you try to engage it. I may be wrong but once the brake rod was taken loose, the hi lo shifted as it should.

I had just learned to use the camera on my old phone when my carrier made me change. I can take photos with the new one but can't find them to transfer to the computer. If I had an 8 year old near, they would solve the problem for me LOL.

Thanks as always for all the input everyone.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tarheel said:

The link with the pics of the 2 rockshafts made me wonder if I could work with different spring sizes to make a spring assist for the lift. Not that I've given up on the counterweight or the electric lift for that matter. A spring just seems quick and cheap.

14 hours ago, Austin said:

Haha! I thought the same thing several years ago. I used a snowplow spring - pretty heavy I thought - and hooked it up to one of the rockshaft arms. It made no noticeable improvement! I think with the mechanical advantage of the long operator arm vs the short implement arm, there just isn't much assist. Now if you attached a really long spring to the operator lever...

I came to the conclusion that the Simplicity engineers knew a lot about how to set up an implement lift.

19 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I do have an electric lift off of an AC 416H ? I think. I have no idea if it would work or not.

18 hours ago, AC710 said:

Your 416 electric actuator might work, but you would need a mounting bracket for the 7010.

The Simplicity electric lift is different from the AC/AC Homelite one.  I think the moving end wouldn't be a problem, but the pin location would be:

Comparea.jpg.b357c1be08f59359b7fcdbf9ceeb2492.jpg

(AC on the left, Simplicity on the right)

Maybe the pins could be relocated - I don't know if anyone has tried to do it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

The Simplicity electric lift is different from the AC/AC Homelite one.  I think the moving end wouldn't be a problem, but the pin location would be:

I was afraid of that.:(

5 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Maybe the pins could be relocated - I don't know if anyone has tried to do it. 

Yes. I have one that the pins were relocated. It worked just fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AC710 said:

Haha! I thought the same thing several years ago. I used a snowplow spring - pretty heavy I thought - and hooked it up to one of the rockshaft arms. It made no noticeable improvement! I think with the mechanical advantage of the long operator arm vs the short implement arm, there just isn't much assist. Now if you attached a really long spring to the operator lever...

I came to the conclusion that the Simplicity engineers knew a lot about how to set up an implement lift.

In the words of William Shakespeare and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ,  "The game's afoot !" LOL The funny thing is that I do not disagree with a word you said. But I'm gonna try anyway.

With all that I have going on with the shop it may take a while but whatever the outcome, I'll be sure to post it here.

Again, I want to thank everyone for taking time to reply. Your help is a huge value to me.

• Like 1

But I'm gonna try anyway.

Tinkering is great! It should be fun to hear what you come up with. I can't say much - I currently have an AC 416 project with a Ford/Jacobsen snow blower attachment and a JD mower adapted by a PO.

Just don't get carried away like this guy...I've posted some of this before, but is worth a review. Note he does have an electric actuator for his sovereign tractor, but is otherwise clueless. There is a whole sequence of this disaster on youtube

As a rule, I don't like making mods to Simplicity machines unless I have to.  I could have trimmed a bit off the Hi lo divider on this six speed and made it work. But even though I know little about six speeds, I knew they didn't send it out from the factory not working. Something wasn't right. With the help from all of you,  I hope to make it right.

I will try and do the same for the lift. No welding to the frame or drilling holes. Only using what is there already to the extent I can.

Before I'd butcher a machine, I'd simply put the tiller back on a hydro lift unit as before.  I like the steady speed of the six speed better than the hydros for tilling but it worked.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Before I'd butcher a machine

Well, the video I posted was just for laughs, or tears, that someone would hack a machine so badly when he had the right stuff in the first place.

I'm willing to bet the full linkage adjustment back to spec will fix it.

20 minutes ago, AC710 said:

Well, the video I posted was just for laughs, or tears, that someone would hack a machine so badly when he had the right stuff in the first place.

I'm willing to bet the full linkage adjustment back to spec will fix it.

I guess I let that video get under my skin. Sorry.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

I guess I let that video get under my skin. Sorry.

Yeah, the more you see of that guy's work the worse it gets! Judging from the discarded camo hood and a few other clues, I think he was using it for a 4-wheeler before finding the mis-fit snowplow and tearing everything to bits.

I absolutely did not intend any negative vibes toward you or your project! Only an "OMG, how bad can it get" reaction. Sorry about that. I like this site because people are mostly helpful and avoid that type of attacking behavior.

It's all good sir. You have been nothing but helpful and I thank you and everyone for all the help. I have a lunch meeting and have to go for now but more later.

7 hours ago, AC710 said:

Yeah, the more you see of that guy's work the worse it gets! Judging from the discarded camo hood and a few other clues, I think he was using it for a 4-wheeler before finding the mis-fit snowplow and tearing everything to bits.

I absolutely did not intend any negative vibes toward you or your project! Only an "OMG, how bad can it get" reaction. Sorry about that. I like this site because people are mostly helpful and avoid that type of attacking behavior.

I hope my post didn't come across as a flame or attack.  I just wanted to make clear that I wouldn't do such to a Simplicity. It was about the video, not you and I should have made that clear. My bad.

• Haha 1

Got some seat time on the six speed today. There was a pasteboard drum around 45 gallon size full of bricks. Well, a hand span from the rim anyway. It was in the right rear corner of the shop and needed to go but one side of the drum had collapsed at some point and it fell when I moved the large outboard engine stand away from it. Used a drill with a spade bit to make a couple of holes up next to the metal rim. Hooked a couple of tie down straps to it and pulled it with the six speed. Didn't spin a tire.

Moved on to till part of the garden before the rain set in. Got about a third of it done then mowed the rest with the Sunstar. The hard freeze down around 10 degrees ruined the turnips and that is a shame because it was the best crop of them I have ever had. They would have filled bellies at the local soup kitchen.

The 7010 worked without a flaw but for some odd reason the tines seem to turn slower than on the 7117/18. The more I use this six speed, the more I like it.

The shop looks like a bomb went off in it as I move 4 or 5 items to get to another. A floor furnace will take the spot the barrel of bricks left but it is very heavy. I can't even move it with hand trucks. But once it is in place I can start moving desks and benches along the right hand wall leading up to the point I can start placing welders. I will have access to power for all of them there and hope to start using them to pick what I keep and what goes.

The forecast is calling for rain for the next 9 days running. That may slow down some of the moving a bit but I hope it helps me get some tractor repairs done. The hi lo repairs and then maybe the Agco.

• Like 2

Tarheel

Got the furnace moved into place. I still have a good bit of tools and equipment on my small trailer so I can move it into the shop when it rains. My 318 was hooked to the trailer but last night it laid down on me. I think it lost ignition. Not even sure if it is points or electronic ignition. The 7117/18 pulled the 318 out of the way and took over to move the trailer and I'll have to juggle things around to get the 318 in the shop. Hope the fix isn't a big deal.

The six speed pulled the 318 into the shop. My plan being to work on both but the 318 started and ran like nothing had ever happened. I parked it outside and started working on the six speed. The brake band and parking brake lever had in fact been keeping the hi-lo shifter from working. Backed off the adjustment and the hi-lo shifted just fine. Locked everything down and raised it up with the hoist for a look at the under side. Took a couple of pics for later reference (for the spring assist) but when I let it down and started to move it out of the shop, the hi-lo wouldn't shift again. Oh well.

Pulled the 318 into the shop today (Thursday) after starting it once again and it acting goofy. Took the carb apart while still on the intake and cleaned it but found no problems. Installed a new fuel filter and changed the oil and filter. Before hooking up the fuel line to the fuel filter from the carb, I stood the filter upright and spun the engine. The pump wouldn't fill the filter. No idea if it is a pump problem or a fuel line or a pick up screen in the tank. Got an electric fuel pump in my Amazon shopping cart and chances are I pull the  fender body and replace all the lines etc just in case. If the pump isn't needed for this machine, there will be another before long.

Back to the six speed. From the time I had it shifting till it wasn't, I only tightened jam nuts etc. I can only figure the brake band has once again stuck. I hope to hobble the JD out of the way tonight and get back onto the six speed. 

I found my Brinly lift and will install it on the 7117/18 for now as the 3310V isn't ready for use yet. Not sure I want to try and lift the cultivators with a manual anyway LOL.

• Like 2

Tarheel

Got a pretty good bit of time in on the shop but not a great deal of time turning wrenches.  I have a desk with a drawer that started out as a used nuts and bolts bin but over time had become a sort of catch all. plumbing parts, pieces of chain and even a voltage regulator had found their way into it. Going through it and picking out all the non nuts, bolts and screws took me a few hours and once I was done, what had been over 5 gallons became around 3.5 of what was supposed to be there. Still have all the cotter pins and hair pin clips etc to sort and put away somewhere along with a fair amount of chain pieces etc.

The JD 318 has turned into a bit more than expected. An electric fuel pump and a spring for the idler arm for the 50 inch deck should arrive Wednesday But the engine is going to come out of it. This tractor has been parked for a good while. When it first started acting up and not wanting to run, I parked it. From then till now it can't have had an hour on it but when I checked the oil the other day it was very low. I don't know for sure where it went, but with the fuel pump acting up I'm wondering if the pulse line has broken or gotten against the flywheel and had a hole worn it it.  I have not seen any oil pooled under it but it went somewhere.

The rain has kept me from getting machines in and out of the shop as the trailer blocks everything. But it is clear tonight and I need to get the engine hoist inside to move a couple of Nissan 2.4 engines. Once those are moved, I can set about moving items off the desks like the speaker/s that had the European hornets last summer and a bolt bin for new bolts and a stereo etc Then I can move the desks and be one step closer to having space for welders.

In between there may be some time to get some work done on the Simplicitys before the rain sets in again tomorrow.

• Like 2

Tarheel

Though the rain has been hit and miss,It has kept me pinned down so little has been done to tractors. I did spend a while on the six speed. Mostly small adjustments and another attempt to get the hood grounded. One of the headlights (1156) has blown and is very black. Not sure what that means but have a feeling checking the output on the generator/regulator may be needed.

I don't know a great deal about this type charging systems so if anyone knows of a link to a good walk through, please share. Thanks.

• Like 1

Tarheel

Got the six speed in the garden for a while today. Still a bit to wet so I gave up on it. Monday I mounted a set of cultivators on the 7118 along with a lift adapter (Brinly maybe ?) Hadn't used that set up in a long while and I'm pretty sure when I did it was behind a foot dragger (Honey B-10). I recall plenty of lift with that but had a time trying to get the 7100 to lift and still get in the ground. I gave up and left it parked last night at max lift and the plows were only an inch or two off the ground. Went out this morning and they were on the ground. The hydro lift always has leaked down but took a few days before. Started checking things out and the lift cable had broken somewhere close to the idler pulley. That's a first for me.

• Like 1