Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite T-16H front suspension question

Gilmer

Hey guys, I have been searching diagrams and pictures regarding my front axle/suspension bracket and can't seem to find one that looks like mine.  My axle assembly is connected to the frame via a 1" diameter shaft with a through bolt in the middle of it. That shaft allows the axle assembly to slightly rotate and acts as the suspension(I'm assuming) the problem is that shaft over th years has apparently "wallered out" (southern slang) the pivot mount in the frame. The holes are 1.5" with no bushings or bearings in them. My plan is to make 2 brass bushings with shoulders on them to fill in this gap and my question is, is this the correct thing to do or am I missing something? Thanks so much

20240310_051935.jpg

20240310_052141.jpg

20240308_142208.jpg

20240308_142154.jpg

• Like 1

I believe your set-up is correct based on my T-10. It seems to be that you might have the later style front axle. @PhanDad might be able to give some more insight.

1 hour ago, Gilmer said:

Does your T-10 have bushings on the frame mounts?

I believe so, but I couldn't say for sure without looking.

PhanDad

You definitely have the "late" T16H model with a different front axle setup. 

As far as I know, no one has been able to find a parts manual for this front frame.  If I remember correctly, the MFG# available for download has the wrong IPL for the front axle.  

What is the MFG# of your tractor? 

The old style front axle has spacers, parts 28 & 39: 

image.png.e7f0adb8178f73abe0d973383c3aa5ad.png

I think your solution will work well.  

Ok thanks. I will get the number off of it. It's currently taped up because of painting. I'm assuming the number you are referring to is the tag on the right side of the frame (if sitting in the seat) 

Very interesting, I definitely think mine was done by someone who worked with what they had to just make it work. Welds are terrible and both mounts are out of square. I am definitely going to try to make it better and thank you so much for that post, that is a good idea 

I don't see the mfg #, only a model and serial number and the serial appears to be 33701103 I believe

20240312_125734.jpg

PhanDad
16 minutes ago, Gilmer said:

I'm assuming the number you are referring to is the tag on the right side of the frame (if sitting in the seat) 

Yes, although my T-12 doesn't show the MFG#:

65f08a0a3228f_T-12Nameplate.thumb.JPG.1973b88aa7b04c3397b87ad2b3541cac.JPG

The MFG# is 1600112.  

Is is thought my tractor is the first machine built of the "4" series.  There was an earlier "3" series.  

• Like 1

PhanDad
4 minutes ago, Gilmer said:

I don't see the mfg #, only a model and serial number and the serial appears to be 33701103 I believe

20240312_125734.jpg

It is thought the  “serial number” of that era consisted of the last 3 digits of the model #, followed by the actual serial number.  However my T-12 doesn't follow that; the T-12 is somewhat  rare. 

There is a MFG#1600337 listed in the Homelite to Simplicity Cross Reference Table:

65f08e18f3306_HomelitetoSimplicityTractorX-Ref.jpg.4145e721b36a98a52d9807d6d803c23a.jpg

So your tractor is probably a MFG#1600337 - and the latest downloadable Parts Manual shows the old style front axle.  It's not the only mistake in the "new format" Parts Manuals.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Brass bushing I made on both sides of the frame for the suspension seems to work, I  machined a shoulder on it and also added a stainless steel setscrew on the bottom of each bushing to prevent walking. And of course tore the paint off installing it 

20240403_150200.jpg

• Like 2