Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Auction Buys Today..Couldnt help myself

SmilinSam

SmilinSam

I thought I was trying to reduce the number of tractors in the shed..

Went to the consignment auction today to get this trailer for a basis for my 800 watt  mobile solar panel power system... Thought it would go cheaper, but had to shell out $200 for it. However it is the right size already ...and theres something to be said for just being able to start building the project right on it without having to build the trailer too.

large.DSCN3293.JPG.6c983a674a8b91d34d977

Unfortunately for the effort to reduce tractors in the shed, stuff was going pretty cheap.  These ended up going home with me...

large.DSCN3294.JPG.eb97ed8975fa4a61f7a1e

large.DSCN3295.JPG.e37480987527668ab2e1a

With complete and original late model rear lifts on both of them I could not very well leave them there for $130(Soveriegn) and $100(912) . The only reason I resisted bidding on the Legacy 20hp Command/60" deck was I didnt want to make a second trip to get it. It sold for $250.....Dont know where it would have gone If I had started bidding. 

I know the guy that brought them all. He said none of them has run in years. The 912 did run, but was using oil and that the last time is son used it something happened that sheared all 4 bolts that hold the BGB to the front frame. I bought it just to have the side mount filter transmission for another potential short frame hydro conversion. That and for the good seat to put on my Conquest. Will likely Ebay the lift off it to recover some of the funds spent today.

The Soveriegn he said the valves are stuck open on both cylinders. Will play around with it and see if I can get it up and running again. Will leave the lift on it for now. May end up- if it runs- putting a tiller with it and selling the package later. We will have to see. Not a bad looking machine but needs some paint work.

Somebody got a good buy on the Legacy, as he said it was a good runner,  just hasnt run in a few years and battery was dead,

This is the first auction I have seen in a few years that actually had good bargains in it. Kinda good to get out and in  the swing of tractor things again. Almost like old times👍...despite having to deal with yet more tractors

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 9

PhanDad
7 minutes ago, SmilinSam said:

I thought I was trying to reduce the number of tractors in the shed..

We all have relapses from time to time.  

Resistance is futile.  

• Haha 4

Chris727

Great bargains! I probably would have relapsed too! 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
SmilinSam

Update on The Sovereign. No go on the engine . Took the rocker covers and the rockers off. None of the valves are stuck. Both pushrods on one side are bent. Took the plugs out and  the plugs were covered in oil & gas. No movement of air from the plug holes when cranking. My guess is both rods are broke and the pistons are lodged in the upper ends of the cylinders.

So... tomorrows shop job is to remove the dead engine and then install the running 12hp Kohler single  on my engine stand. Going to replace the junk Chinese replacement carb on it with the OEM one off the worn out 12 from the 912 after I clean it up and put a kit in it.. Then rewire the tractor for Battery Ignition.

Used to be able to get all this type of work done in a day, but that was quite a while back and I'm out of practice.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

SmilinSam

As per the last visit to "What did you do in the shop today" topic, I didnt get further than getting the dead command out. Too many distractions of other things to do.

Getting worse no I fear, as the local Agco dealer gave my name to someone with dead tractors in their yard wanting to sell them/ get them gone. Couldnt tell me what they were on the phone. Not one who cares for blind dates...but who knows?

This one I paid scrap price for...

large.DSCN3323.JPG.1455a9178f057bbe7c3cb

Engine might run. Rest of tractor is pretty rough..dead battery

This one I paid 3 times scrap price..... Sometimes a Blind date isnt so bad😎

large.DSCN3324.JPG.2cdfde3056db8dff2c370

Real nice looker, good battery...engine blew up after the dealer shop had it in twice for service saying it was good to go... Owner wasnt happy with their service..

large.DSCN3325-Copy.JPG.9d3d9da7708ec481

Need I say more☠️

Hoping to repower & play with it a while before passing it on

• Like 3

SmilinSam

Well, piddling around yesterday I decided to give the flywheel a turn on the Courage in that nice looking broadmoor.  Its not blown up. Seems to have good compression...Hmm

Noticed it has a Fram automotive filter on it. Wonder if that caused problems. Maybe its knocking from being starved for oil?  Going to investigate further when the Soveriegn gets done....

• Like 2

gwiseman

Noticed it has a Fram automotive filter on it. Wonder if that caused problems. Maybe its knocking from being starved for oil?

I just don’t understand. Pay decent $ for a lawn tractor but not service by the book. Use and abuse I guess. Good luck Sam.

• Like 1

SmilinSam
Posted (edited)

After today I find myself not willing to criticize shoddy service. Spent all day getting the Soveriegn together. Fired it up...a moment later the sqealing bearings  reminded me I forgot to put oil in it after changing the pan.:||☠️ Done that before , but didnt  let the engine run like I did this time.

CRS... long covid fog...premature senility...take your pick

Oh well, the damage was done. Put oil in it and threw the deck on to see if it was any good.  Deck ran fine, engine gave me about 15 minutes of run time before the bearings siezed up. 

Dealt myself lemons today so....I'll just make lemonade. I'll piece the machine out. Put the new front tires that came on it on my DA1920, sell the rear lift setup with the tiller belt idler/bracket...the deck, and a few other parts. Got a real nice BGB on it too. Should get close to getting enough $$ to pay for the 2000 rpm rear PTO I just bought for the 1920.

I better just stay away from engine work....

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

simplewrench

Man that’s a bummer. But again I can relate. Haven’t ruined an engine yet but I’ve been close. The mind is willing but losing its ability, or too many projects to think about. Whatever excuse I’m willing to latch onto at the time. 

• Like 2

I got my B 110 running today. It was running good pulled in the shed and next time it wouldn't start. Wasn't any spark so I put on a external coil and starts and runs great. Didn't and a ignition switch so I used the headlight switch 

SmilinSam

Worked on the Regent with the courage a bit this morning. It runs. As long as I meter gas into the carb with the basting tube, it runs and runs fine. No knocks, no abnormal noises etc. Going to town to get oil, filter, fuel filter etc. Will see where the fuel stoppage is. Either the shut off solenoid, float valve, or fuel pump is my guess....

• Like 2

SmilinSam
Posted (edited)

Started with the fuel filter. No flow from the tank to the filter. Just filled tank with fresh fuel . Shot some compressed air into the tank. Gradually started seeing brown slimy discolored fuel come out of the line in spurts. Pretty soon had a good flow of clean fuel running out. Added a new filter and line to the vacuum fuel pump.  Also checked for voltage going to the fuel shut off solenoid. That was good. 

So tomorrow will continue with checking the fuel pump for operation. Then the solenoid, as well as disassembling the carb and cleaning it up. Hopefully the parts counter has the parts in stock.

EDIT:   

Decided to look up info on Courage engines. This video is well done and about says it all...

I pretty much get the impression I'm just wasting my time with it. Might be better off just swapping in a command.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2

I’ve heard this several times regarding the unreliable tendencies of these engines. I have no personal experience with them. My opinion is that it’s a ticking time bomb. At least with the Triad (notably viewed the same by many) had some easy fixes to prevent a lot of the premature failure potentials. I’m not sure if any exist with the Courage. Other than maybe some blue Loc-tite & some added gaskets. This was a good video. Thanks for posting.

• Like 2

SmilinSam
4 hours ago, ShaunE said:

This was a good video. Thanks for posting.

He seems to know what he's talking about. Case in point, I stopped this morning in the diagnosis and looked the block over in the area he was talking about. Sure enough, a great big crack right in the same place. This engine got removed and thrown up on the scrap iron heap in the dump trailer.

Going to add a electric fuel pump and put one of these Command singles in.

• Like 3