Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Spooky" THe Agco 516H strikes again !

Tarheel

Tarheel

This little machine has really been a headache. But maybe not all the trouble is the fault of the mower. Sometime last season, I got the spark advance working as it should and from then until now it has worked. Over the winter, the battery became to weak to start it. I pulled it up front and hooked a charger to it. Got it started and mowed maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Parked it back beside the garage and put it back on charge but the battery was to far gone so I changed it out for another.

This one spun the engine well enough but no start. Pushed the machine into the shop and checked the ignition and no fire. Checked voltage etc and the spark advance module was getting power. I'm starting to wonder if the battery charger is in some way damaging the module ? Anyway, I've had enough.

Last night I went out to the old horse stall where I keep large parts and removed a 14 hp command w/o the spark advance. The tech at Kohler said it would fit and work but there would be a loss of 1 HP. I can live with that.

Put the 14 on a hand truck and moved it into the shop. Pulled the blower housing and then the coil. Removed the coil and advance from the 16 and made the swap. The laminations lacked a quarter of an inch or reaching the magnets on the flywheel. Then I remembered the flywheel must be changed as well.

Heading out in a bit to change flywheels and I think I'll maybe replace the steel tube  (with copper line ?) and run the fuel pump again.  I'll post the results.

As I have said before, I have far more labor not counting money in this thing than it is worth. But when it works, it does a great job. The hydro is crisp and it mows just as a Simplicity should. I just can't scrap it.

• Like 1

I looked it up and your machine is 20-29 years old! (Yep, it goes by that quick). My motto has always been "you either make payments in cash for new or in maintenance and repairs for old, take your pick". If you enjoy wrenching and keeping the old stuff going - my newest is also 20 years old - then you've made the second choice.😁

Hope it keeps workin' for ya. Keep 'em runnin'!

I also always get a kick out of checking inflation values - your $3,195 tractor in 1997 would cost around $6,200 in today's new market, and I'll bet you couldn't come close to the quality for that price.

• Like 3

PhanDad
24 minutes ago, AC710 said:

my newest is also 20 years old

My newest (75th) is 27 years young.  

What's your oldest in routine use?

Mine is the the 52 year old Homelite T-12.

• Like 2

Tarheel

49 minutes ago, AC710 said:

I looked it up and your machine is 20-29 years old! (Yep, it goes by that quick). My motto has always been "you either make payments in cash for new or in maintenance and repairs for old, take your pick". If you enjoy wrenching and keeping the old stuff going - my newest is also 20 years old - then you've made the second choice.😁

Hope it keeps workin' for ya. Keep 'em runnin'!

I also always get a kick out of checking inflation values - your $3,195 tractor in 1997 would cost around $6,200 in today's new market, and I'll bet you couldn't come close to the quality for that price.

There is a good bit of history with this machine and myself. I do enjoy turning wrenches but sometimes and some machines. On this machine, to pull the blower housing off the engine, you have to remove the fuel tank and part of the console or pull the engine. I made a remark a while back in a post here that I didn't "Butcher" Simplicity machines. This being an exception. I cut the blower housing in two pieces. I can now remove the front while the back portion stays in place. And in the case of the job today, I was able to rotate the flywheel portion and remove it so I could replace the flywheel without pulling the engine.

There is also a problem where the hood hinge bushings keep breaking and the hair pins for it keep getting lost. No ideas as of yet on how I'll try and fix that.

But the new/used coil and flywheel are installed and it runs. Heading to town for a lunch meeting in a bit and I'll pick up fuel line to wrap around the engine from the pump to the carb and not worry with running it under the blower housing. (Unless the local hardware sells copper tubing by the foot). I had given thought to soaking the steel line on it in CLR or some such to remove the rust but don't think I'd ever trust it.

At any rate, It is back among the living.

42 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

My newest (75th) is 27 years young.  

Mine is the the 52 year old Homelite T-12.

I got rid of all my foot draggers last year, But until then it was a bumble bee 10. Not sure of the year. Fine tractor though.

Thanks for the input all !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Either the 7016 or AC 710, both '76 models, so 48 years young. 710 is my snowplow and dozer. 7016 is snow blower, lawn utility tractor, earthcavator, tiller, general purpose. Strange I'm not mowing with either one - mower deck in pieces.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PhanDad said:

My 50 year old Homelite T-10. 

• Like 1

Tarheel

The little Agco quit again. But this time it is/was my fault.

I had said above I planned to go back to using the fuel pump. But as things happened, I didn't stop to find copper tube. Ended up having to go to 6 or 7 different places (wife was off work) and it just slipped my mind.

Now the Agco is getting no fuel. The fuel solenoid is working from the sound so I don't have a clue what it might be. New lines and filter last season and I can't have more than 3 or 4 hours run time on them. But with my eyesight, I may have missed something in the tank.

I'll take the fuel line loose at the carb and start working back from there and if I can find tubing to fit the gas opening to tape to the shop vac I'll give it a good cleaning as well.

Never a dull moment with Spooky !

In better news, I found the hydro leak on the GT 235. Seems the PO had used plastic weld the hydro tank and it failed. Looked up a new one and aftermarket was 50 bucks. (Around 80 for OEM) But as I was about to order it, I recalled I had a parts machine. Checked it and sure enough there was a good tank. Changed them out and the Deere is good to go. New one is still in the saved for later portion of my cart.

Mine is a 1965 Simplicity Landlord with the original mower deck and rototiller. I bought it used in 1978 so I have had it since then. I bought it from the man who bought it new in 1965. I was able to pick up an Allis snowblower and original vacuum collector and hood for it so i had used it year round until the heavy snows stoppped pretty much in Pittsburgh area. It is still going strong. I have always parked it in the garage. Great machine and Best Buy of my adult life.

• Like 5

simplewrench
On 4/12/2024 at 10:05 AM, PhanDad said:

Mine would be my 725. My favorite tractor mostly pull trailer, I do use it with the belly blade but I don’t have enough weight on it to be real effective. The tractor did not have a mid pro on it when I got it and I don’t think it ever had one mounted because there didn’t seem to be any wear in the mounting holes. It always starts and I just love the way it sounds and once it’s warmed up a little it will idle down to barely running and make the front tires just sit and bounce. We’re about the same age too. 

• Like 2

Tarheel

I removed the fuel line and had okay flow so I removed the float bowl and found a pretty large amount of trash. Once that was cleaned, I drained the fuel through a paint strainer and blew back through the line with air.

The filter is only months old. I don't know how it failed so quickly but I'll need to find another brand. If anyone knows of a brand that works please name it here.

Spooky is running once again. LOL  For now at least.

• 2 weeks later...
SmilinSam
On 4/12/2024 at 8:07 AM, Tarheel said:

Last night I went out to the old horse stall where I keep large parts and removed a 14 hp command w/o the spark advance. The tech at Kohler said it would fit and work but there would be a loss of 1 HP. I can live with that.

You should go look up the internal specs on all these Kohler Command vertical shaft cv singles.  Last time I looked I found all of them, 9hp through 18hp all have the same internal specs. Apparently the only difference between the HP ratings is from whats bolted to the blocks.. i.e. carburetors, ignition types, charging systems,  and such..  I think it was mainly the carburetors and/or rpm settings that determine the HP .

Case in point is I took a  good 9hp block from a Deere stx38 and put it in a Wheel Horse that had a vertical 20 hp Command and a 48" deck. Took the carb  and other external parts off a 16hp vertical command and put all that on the 9hp block & set the rpms a 3600. Pulled the hydro tractor around and mowed heavy thick grass just fine with the 48" deck..  I found that all pretty interesting.

What I would like to know is just how many different carburetors were actually used on these engines. As tp HP ratings for these, there was a 9, 11, 12, 13 14, 15, 16 and 18 that I am aware of.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2