Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire help !

Tarheel

Tarheel

I am needing a couple of rear tires for my Sunstar (and others). The Sunstar has 23x10.50-12 on it now.

But I have no idea on where to buy, what ply, what brand and what tread.  I know I want turf tires but beyond that I'm in the dark.

I'd be grateful for any input on what brands to look for and those to stay away from. When all is said and done, the Sunstar should mow around 3 acres a week and drag large tree limbs now and then. No garden use planned for it.

Thanks.

Al Truistic

I have 2 Sunstars that I am not needing anymore.  I have 23X10.5-12 Turf tires on one and 26X12-12 Lug tires on the other. I prefer the Lug tires.  I am in central Virginia and will be getting rid of these 2 mowers soon.  If you need anything, or are interested in taking them off my hands, let me know.

One is an 18HP that hasn't run in a few years )think parts tractor)  The other started throwing oil out of the front of the engine a year ago.  It currently doesn't start, but I believe it could with a little work.  I have a 48" and a 60" deck.

• Like 1

SmilinSam

The farm stores around me have all switched to nanco and similar brands for way more money than you have to pay online for them. So I have been buying all my NEW tractor  tires off Ebay.Pretty competative and can usually get a decent price.

or... You can get used ones with the tractors for about the same price as new tires.

I used to run ag treads on all my tractors. Got tired of tearing up the ground around my trees in tight turns. Switched to running tires  in between turfs and ag treads. Got Carlisle Field trax on one prestige and Kenda Terra tracs on a conquest and the other prestige. Pretty happy with those so far. Enough traction to get me around the hard parts of the yard but doesnt tear the ground up around the trees in tight turns as bad as ag treads.

I prefer running 4 ply tires . Hold a load better and fewer flats overall.

• Like 4

The Sunstars came with  23-10.50 -12 and 24-13-12 and a 26-12-12 configuration options.  The 24-13-12's had a wide stance and a relatively timid tread pattern as far as aggressiveness; probably best for turf tires.

• Like 1

Tarheel

I ordered a pair of MaxAuto 24x12.00-12 Turf Lawn Mower tires today. Shipping will take a week or so.

Thanks for the input everyone !

• Like 1

Tarheel

Sorry if that seemed abrupt. Got a small refund check and it was time to fish or cut bait. (Wife was gonna spend it if I didn't LOL) I am itching to get the Sunstar to work. I still haven't figured outwhere the hydro leak came from but leaning towards it being over filled with fluid maybe ? Getting tires on it should give me the chance to run it a while and find out.

SmilinSam
7 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

I still haven't figured outwhere the hydro leak came from but leaning towards it being over filled with fluid maybe ? 

Check the rear pump shaft seal around the splined pto take off end. Just found out thats where mine has been leaking. Seeps out around the seal and runs down under the tractor and drips on the floor. MAkes it look like the lower return line is whats leaking among other things. Going to clean mine up install a new seal and see if anything else is leaking....when I manage to get to it...

• Like 1

Tarheel

Tires came in Saturday but after the tire stores were closed. Heading out this morning to have them changed then on to Mom's to try the Sunstar out. Only have about 45 minutes left to mow where the rain caught me last week.

• Like 1

Tarheel

Got the tires installed, Filled up with gas then ran by the car wash for a bit of a clean up.  Got to Mom's and started mowing.  Oh boy !

I'm not sure what pressure the new tires were filled to, but I couldn't run it past walking speed ! It felt like it would shake my kidneys out. Otherwise, it mowed as it should. Pretty much. cut was ragged looking. I think it will be getting new blades before long and maybe new rollers for the deck.

It is still on the trailer and I'll go check for hydro leaks here shortly.

• 3 weeks later...
Tarheel

Haven't had the chance to use the Sunstar much but did drive it up the road a way and found the tire were not seated on the rims correctly. Took the worst of the two back to the shop that mounted them and they could not get them seated.

Hate to have to return ship them and either way I go I'm out $38 for mounting so I am trying to contact the seller through Amazon to see how they wish to resolve this.

Chris727

Often its necessary to install a tube with the way these tires are smashed from shipping. 

• Like 1

Tarheel

These tires were shipped in a large box and not deformed at all. The problem seems to be that the bead is a little to small to fit the 12 inch rim.

Tarheel

Called another tire shop and they said they would try, but when I went out to remove the wheel from the Sunstar I noticed it was a bit improved. Pulled it into the shop and bumped the pressure to 40 PSI then mowed for maybe 30 minutes. I'll leave it like this a couple of days and see what happens.

SmilinSam

Used to be that L&G tires like Carlisle, Good Year and Firestone  were rated for 10 - 12 lbs psi. Some of these newer foreign tires like Deestones actually are rated for 20-30 lbs psi, and if you don't pump them up to the rated PSI they don't  look the right size on the tractor and don't perform as good at the old standard lower psi.

I'd look at the psi rating on the tire and see what it says.

• Like 2

Brettw

40 PSI on lawn tractor tires is truly givin' 'er.  If those beads aren't seated after that, they probably never will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tarheel

Talking with the Amazon seller. They have offered to send me 2 more tires w/o me returning those I have. Very cool of them. But the are asking that I send photos showing the problem.

Those who have read many of my posts will know I have a good bit of trouble with photos with my new phone. I can take the pics, and I can see them on the phone, but I can't get the computer to see them. I will try to use my old phone. But even if I can get photos, How to show that the tires are out of center ? Maybe a picture of a yard stick against the wheel and tire showing that the distance to center is different between the top and the bottom ?  Most tires have a mark (Think what wall or raised white letter) Or just a ring made into the sidewall. These tires have no such marks.

Any ideas would be welcome

ShaunE

Being technology handicapped myself, I would take the pictures with your phone. Access the internet from your phone if you don't have your email setup on your phone. Log into your email as you would from a computer & send the pictures that way. I have an iPhone & it’s pretty simple. But I’ve also had an iMac computer since 2009. So I’m “relatively” versed in Apple products. 

• Like 3

Tarheel
2 hours ago, ShaunE said:

Being technology handicapped myself, I would take the pictures with your phone. Access the internet from your phone if you don't have your email setup on your phone. Log into your email as you would from a computer & send the pictures that way. I have an iPhone & it’s pretty simple. But I’ve also had an iMac computer since 2009. So I’m “relatively” versed in Apple products. 

Thanks ShaunE. That sounds like something I can maybe do.

Tarheel

Well, the replacement tires have arrived and I hope to change them this weekend. The Amazon seller sent them without my having to return the first pair. I do have a few machines that don't see much use that I can maybe use the first set on. A Craftsman 20 or 25 HP with hi-lo comes to mind. It might make a good machine for dragging/pulling items around the yard though I don't think there is a lift on it. A friend with a bead breaker and tire tools is going to help me make the swaps so I won't be out a second mounting fee. In fact, I have a 25% off coupon for HF and that would make their manual tire changer 49ish bucks. I'm thinking I may just pick one up today.  If any of you own one of them, Please let me know what you think of it.

Thanks

SmilinSam
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

.  If any of you own one of them, Please let me know what you think of it.

Thanks

Got mine bolted to a 3' tall stand bolted to the floor in the shop. Works for me, but theres a few gripes I have.

1) Still have yet to find anything to set over the cup the wheel rest on that will prevent the wheel from have the paint grated off when the wheel turns while being tightened down in the tool.  Tried self sticking rubber, and it gets torn up within a couple of tire changes. Tried  plastic cups that wifes garden plants come in. They work, but also get ground up in a few tire changes. Still looking for something that will last...

2) The tool supplied is soft steel and bends too easily. Same for the bead breaker foot. Had to weld on a new foot pad on out of tougher steel.

3) The aluminum cup pins into the steel base with too much slop. Been going to shim it since I had it, as it rocks around more than it should. Have yet to take the time to do it though... 

Also on my second threaded rod. 

Did buy some good tire spoons. Makes a big difference with problem tires.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2

Bolted mine to the floor towards the center of the garage where I have all the room to work around it.  Heavy concrete anchors, removeable bolts.  I un-bolt it, then I install some mushroom topped cap screws in the holes with a good amount of never-seize to protect the threads in the anchors.  They are close to the floor and have no edges to catch on.  I don't even notice them there. Remove the mushroom topped screws and re-install with regular bolts when I need to use it.  Store it out of the way in the mean time.  Takes only a minute to install, solid as a rock, great location for working, easy to remove and store.

• Like 6