Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Driveshaft alignment

Ronald Hribar

Ronald Hribar

When putting a newer motor in an older tractor.

it is often necessary to add a plate under the engine.

if you get a tractor without aN engine,

how do you determine correct height?

I think the motor should be an inch higher than gearbox.

and does the motor have to be in an straight line?

I think there is an instrument that you can use to determine correct position.

• Like 1

Simplest starting point is to see if drawings are available with dimensions on both engines.  Either put replacement engine in that is the same height, or add space to make it the same.  If specs are not available, place both engines on a flat surface and measure height with a good caliper (or butt them up to each other).  The more accurate you can duplicate this should make the fiber disc live longer.  I don't recall any disc failures on my tractors due to alignment, usually it is from something coming loose.

• Like 2

Ronald Hribar
Posted (edited)

I have looked for specs on a K532 before and no luck.

Tried again today 

And found it is the same as a CH23

problem solved

Edited by Ronald Hribar
Fat fingers
  • Like 2

Ronald Hribar

Got my answer today 7/8 of an inch difference

I had estimated at

1 1/2 inch

PhanDad
11 hours ago, Ronald Hribar said:

And found it is the same as a CH23

Interesting/confusing.  The CH series engines shaft centerline is 6-1/8" per this spec dwg:

CHSideDimension.jpg.1421bf52d9de94d052e2a222b4a0e64f.jpg

So assuming you're looking to install the engine in a "Sovereign", the height should be the same - KT17s, M18, Briggs and Kohler single cylinders were all 6-1/8".  The Triad (TH18) was 5-1/4", so a 7/8" high mounting plate was used.  

I thought the K532 was a replacement for the KT/M opposed twins - big and heavy.  Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong engine.   
Edit - engine preceded KTs per below.  

Edited by PhanDad
Added edit note
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PhanDad said:

I thought the K532 was a replacement for the KT/M opposed twins - big and heavy.  Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong engine. 

The K531 was in the Deere 400 & I think the D200 & maybe D180 Wheel Horse & a Bolens or two. Bigger footprint & all cast iron. I think @midnightpumpkin has a Powermax with one that was installed before he purchased it. Extremely well built & proven engines used in other commercial equipment as well. As much as I like my Onan CCK & NH cast iron engines, this was a very reliable engine. It just doesn’t fit well in any of my applications due the is larger footprint & substantial weight. @SmilinSam has experience in the Wheel horse realm & maybe with these engines. I can’t remember if he was into the D-Series units.

• Thanks 1

SmilinSam
23 minutes ago, ShaunE said:

@SmilinSam has experience in the Wheel horse realm & maybe with these engines. I can’t remember if he was into the D-Series units.

Nope, never got into the big ones.  My info on the K532 and similar is all second hand.  The tractors they were in from what I understand,  date from the mid 1970s to the Early to mid 1980's. They precede the KT's and Magnum twins and I think they died out before the KT line did.

• Thanks 1

I think the easiest way to do this would be to measure the old engine, or any of the Briggs or Kohler's from a bench or the floor or even in the engine bay to the center of the crank and measure the replacement engine.  if they are sitting flat on something it should be relatively easy?

• Like 1

The K582 is NOT the same as a CH23.   As stated by Phan Dad , CH engines are 6-1/6".  The K582 is 7.50"  base to centerline of drive shaft.  This is out of Kohler sheet E-1445C-792.

A couple of things about the K582 ... just so you know.

Weight 178 lbs.  Bore 3.50, Stroke 3.00,  57.73 C.I.   23 hp, @ 3600 rpm, Torque 41ft. lbs. @ 2200 rpm,  7.1 comp ratio.  Oil 8 pints ,  full pressure lube with oil filter.  Adjustable tappets.  15 amp alternator.

Edited by MikeES
  • Like 2

I may be wrong on this, but to my understanding, the only engine that had a different mounting plate, or required some height adjustment to the crankshaft center, was the Triad.  I was under the impression that all of the Briggs, Kohler singles and KT / Magnum and Command twins did not require any different height adjustments.  They had different driveshaft lengths and couplers depending upon the configurations and the actual large frame series, but I thought the driveshaft centers were all pretty close to identical. 

• Like 2

Ronald Hribar

The motor was in a Ford LGT 195.

Did not come with motor.

a Honda clone is going in its place.

The specs that Mike supplied are close to my estimate.

The 582 had rubber motor mounts that added a little.

my estimate was based on how close driveshaft rubbed  on cross member

Very similiar to Simplicity

after asking for instrument to measure angle

i went again to check  crankshaft height

found a site doing an engine replacement

and they stated that Kohler were all the same

so I compared it to Honda and came up with 7/8 inch

But was wondering how much rubber mounts added

The replacements came this morning

I have the 1 1/2 mount made

rather would of had the 7/8

for clearance problems

but want NO driveshaft problems

Thank you for all the information

Ronald Hribar

As Mike stated 7.50 inches and rubber mounts added another .5 inches for a total of 8 inches

Honda 5 1/4

that I can check to make sure

2 3/4 inches seems a lot

Hey, Ron, what tractor are you referring to?  I assumed it was a Sovereign / large frame Simplicity, so when I re-read your post I can see the struggle.  If it is a large frame Simplicity, I have multiple driveshaft configurations and parts, so if you need anything let me know.

• Like 1

Ronald Hribar

Ford LGT 195

had a Kohler 582 in it

with its rubber mounts 

the crankshaft center was 8 inches above mounting plate

Lifan 22 hp is only 5 1/4

driveshaft is no problem

although I only have rubber disks

i thought I had the fiber ones