Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Busy Day


Austin

Recommended Posts

Spent a good chunk of the day at my buddies house today helping him out. He’s been working a lot lately and hasn’t had any time to mow (for at least a month), so I figured I’d come over and lend a hand. I fired up his trusty B10 and then proceeded to mow 3 acres with it. Wouldn’t have been so bad except for the 3rd gear is almost non-existent in it, and the grass was all about 7 + inches tall. So 2nd gear for about 4 straight hours got the job done. We also peeked into the 18hp Kohler he bought, and we found possibly the biggest mouse nest I’ve come across in an engine. Otherwise the engine is looking fairly solid.

IMG_7249.jpeg

IMG_7248.jpeg

IMG_7247.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris727

Yep that is a Triad engine. I hope he got the rest of the shrouds with it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

Yep that is a Triad engine. I hope he got the rest of the shrouds with it.  

A crap. I didn’t think it was 🤦‍♂️..  Well it should be interesting to say the least then. I believe he got all the shrouds minus the valve cover missing in the photo. Am I thinking correctly that @ShaunE is who is pretty knowledgeable on the Triads?

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

PhanDad

Yep, Shaun is a Triad guru. 
But looking at how the Triad was “disassembled” I only have bad thoughts. 
I’m thinking it might have been serving its best purpose before it becomes a boat anchor. 
 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

maxwood

I had a triad engine listed for sale , I sold it for $60 .

You can go to Kohler website  and search for Manuals  and look for retired engines and find service manual for it.

 

Thanks Ken in Mi

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

PhanDad
53 minutes ago, maxwood said:

find service manual for it.

The Triad Service Manual is in the Downloads Forum:https://simpletractors.com/files/file/57-kohler-ohc-repair-manual/

And the parts Manual also:

https://simpletractors.com/files/file/70-kohler-th18-ohc-parts-triad/

Hope it's not cratered.  

For some background, see Al's comments in this post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/34159-th18-ohc-kohler/

And a Shaun Post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/62768-never-used-simplicity-sovereign-hydro/

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

Thank you for that! I'll report back once we dig farther into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Austin said:
1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

Thank you for that! I'll report back once we dig farther into it.

PM me when you get into it further. We'll chat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

gwiseman

Good looking old Bumblebee 10. I don't think I've ever mowed in 3rd gear. Always 2nd gear unless really thick or tall grass then in 1st gear. There have been times I've had to run over extra tall grass two times in order to get a decent looking mow. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Austin said:

the 3rd gear is almost non-existent in it

What is going on with 3rd gear? Sounds like it could be a serious transmission issue. Is the gear oil clean?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, AC710 said:

What is going on with 3rd gear? Sounds like it could be a serious transmission issue. Is the gear oil clean?

Yes th gear oil is clean. All other gears are very tight and shift cleanly as they should. I think the answer is just as simple as 3rd gear was used quite heavily in this machine. Which would correspond with what my buddy told me, that being the previous owners used this machine very heavily over the years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gwiseman said:

Good looking old Bumblebee 10. I don't think I've ever mowed in 3rd gear. Always 2nd gear unless really thick or tall grass then in 1st gear. There have been times I've had to run over extra tall grass two times in order to get a decent looking mow. 

I never have either but there were a few spots which were flat and fairly sparse looking in grass. So I figured I would save some time and just go through it in 3rd. It took a few seconds before it engaged and then it went alright. But the second it met a slight incline it gave up. Even on flat ground the gear just doesn't like to engage. Thankfully 1st and 2nd feel like they've never been used.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Austin said:

Yes th gear oil is clean. All other gears are very tight and shift cleanly as they should. I think the answer is just as simple as 3rd gear was used quite heavily in this machine.

If the third gear or bearings were worn out, there would be metals in the oil (unless of course it just got changed). I suspect two things, one - the third gear keys are sheared off, allowing the gear to turn on the shaft. You would have to take the transmission apart to fix that.

The second thing is that the clutch mechanism could be weak - i.e. you need a new drive belt. If the belt is slipping it would show up in third gear first. It's worth checking at any rate.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill725
8 hours ago, AC710 said:

The second thing is that the clutch mechanism could be weak - i.e. you need a new drive belt. If the belt is slipping it would show up in third gear first. It's worth checking at any rate.

If this would be the case then, the transmission would act like this in all gears.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bill725 said:

If this would be the case then, the transmission would act like this in all gears.

Old-school mechanics know the way to test a worn-out clutch (in a car) is to let it out in high gear with the brake on where the slippage will be easily detected because it won't kill the engine. Probably not as obvious in a belt drive machine, but at least it's worth a look-see.

What are the other probabilities? 3rd gear shaft bearing? pinion gear? worn out teeth on 3rd gear? - all would show up in the oil.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

dhoadley
16 hours ago, AC710 said:

Old-school mechanics know the way to test a worn-out clutch (in a car) is to let it out in high gear with the brake on where the slippage will be easily detected because it won't kill the engine.

I would ease it up to a large tree, because I don't trust my brakes to work that well. 😊

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AC710
6 hours ago, dhoadley said:

I would ease it up to a large tree

The idea here is not to crash into stuff, do wheelies or go on a wild ride. Basically, feather the clutch to see if the mechanism or belt slips when engaged. If it doesn't slip it will lug the engine to a stop (or you step on the clutch pedal to release it). Theoretically, if it keeps running you could also listen to the transmission for errant gear noises, grinding or signs it's not in gear.

I agree with the tree strategy, as a fail safe. It's easy to move forward with the parking brake on and burn up the lining. (ask me how I know this 🤣)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...