Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 920

Brettw

Brettw

Hoping you guys can help me out.  I picked up this AC 7100 series tractor, and I'm not sure if it was originally a diesel, or if someone put new decals on it.  I don't see a similar decal configuration, but maybe this is a newer or older set.  Thee reason I am asking is there is a CH20 in it now, and the PO tried to wire it up and melted some of the wiring.  The engine is supposed to be good, but it's going to have to come out to go through it.  Someone actually cut the cowl apart, possibly to access the coils(?) and it won't turn over.  Seems to be a starter issue, it tries.  Anyway, it's going to be hard enough to straighten out the wiring without the added probable differences in a diesel harness too.   So if anyone has a wiring diagram for a Kohler Command late model Sovereign, that would be a great help, and any input of knowledge would be appreciated too.  Again, it may not even have been a diesel to begin with, the decals throw me off. 

AC 920.JPG

Chris727

The diesels have a different frame and hood. This looks to have had a single cylinder engine originally. Decal was likely purchased to match the CH20. 

• Like 1

PhanDad

A way to tell if it was really a diesel measure the length of the axle tube, diesels supposedly had a wider stance and the axle tube and axle are longer.  Measure how much the tube sticks out on each side and compare to one of your other Sovereigns.  Please report back, as I'm curious.  

3 hours ago, Brettw said:

Someone actually cut the cowl apart, possibly to access the coils(?)

Maybe access holes like in this Command blower housing?

Housing01.thumb.jpg.5fbf2e4a1fe7d51dd2cd0882f269a60f.jpg

The Sovereign Command wiring diagram:

Command_Cranking_Wire.JPG.7309462f70ae1ebe18f49a2b47caa5ed.JPG

You may want to review my "Kohler Triad Replacement - Command" Post, it has some info and pics of wiring.  

• Like 1

PhanDad

Brett, 

When you get a chance, take a pic of the muffler setup.  I'm thinking it's custom since the exhaust comes out the original frame exhaust hole.  

Thanks.

Tarheel

That offset in the frame was always something I noticed about 7790s.

• Like 2

Brettw

Thanks, all.  Thanks for the schematic, Bill.  I wish it were access holes.  No, they literally cut up the cowling.  Muffler is a custom fabrication.  Also, noticed this tractor has the remote trans filter, so it's an early one.  I'll post some more pics as I get further into it.  Engine is out and I'm going through it.  I'll check the axel tubes against the other gasser Sovereigns, but it seems almost certain this is a decal issue and not a diesel with a gas engine swap.

PhanDad
1 hour ago, Brettw said:

Thanks for the schematic

The major difference with the Command wiring vs other magneto tractors is the main +12V from the battery goes directly to the solenoid on the starter.  A pigtail feeds the ignition switch via the typical circuit breaker.  

IMG_8335a.JPG.48f7da6c4cc0c012e09ca4d245088c93.JPG

SmilinSam

If it were a diesel frame it would also have a wider battery box area.

• Like 2

Brettw

Also, wondering if the shroud from a CV to a CH (vertical / horizontal) are the same?  Trying to locate a new shroud.

Brettw

I think we'll be startin' from scratch......

melted.JPG

• Sad 3

Brettw
On 5/5/2024 at 11:35 AM, PhanDad said:

A way to tell if it was really a diesel measure the length of the axle tube, diesels supposedly had a wider stance and the axle tube and axle are longer.  Measure how much the tube sticks out on each side and compare to one of your other Sovereigns.  Please report back, as I'm curious.  

Axles are the same as my gasoline Sovereigns, Bill.  No bump or notch in the frame.  The solid bet is, it's a decal issue and it was/is not a diesel.  The decals are in too good of shape too, for the condition of the paint on the rest of the tractor.  It's obviously sat outside with the fade and chalking of the paint.  Too bad that's the case, as the sheet metal is in excellent shape, and there is little to no rust anywhere.  This might be a good one to put some effort into.  I'm not sure, but perhaps a frankentractor of some flavor.  Remote trans filter, but the tractor seems to be newer than that.  Oddball washer setup on the brake. Nanny switches disconnected from any circuit, the whole wiring thing conforms to nothing recognizable. 3 position non-momentary headlight switch.    No circuit breaker in the mess of spaghetti, large junction block.  We'll see.........

Engine did fire and run well on the bench.  Now I can invest in a new shroud.

• Like 3

ShaunE

It looks to me like an early 916. Three spoked steering wheel & remote filter. Frame is level across the top edge, not cut out for the opposed twins. 

• Like 2