Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7119 with a Magnum 20. Oil leak.

Tarheel

Tarheel

4 or 5 years ago now, I saw an ad on Marketplace for a 7119. It looked new. The price was a bit steep but I offered $100 less than the asking price and they took it. Almost 400 mils round trip and I made it home in the wee hours with my prize loaded in the back of my Frontier. Had to remove the deck to load it then strap the deck in beside it. The truck didn't care about the weight as far as pulling goes but the curves along I-40 crossing the mountains made it lean big time (picked it up just outside of Knoxville Tn). 

Once I got the deck back under it I found that the engine surged quite a bit. Got that taken care of and started to mow with it and the deck was out of level front to rear really bad. From then till now I have started it now and then and let it run for a few minutes but that is it. I pulled it into the shop last night with plans to level the deck. Noticed a good bit of engine oil on the engine pan and mower deck. There was also a 3/8ths nut laying on the deck. Found the nut was from the front drive shaft mount. The lock washer was still in place and the second nut was a few threads from coming off as well.

Got those tightened and fired it up but could not see a leak anywhere. But the cover plate on the PTO side of the engine had silicon or some other sealant smeared around it. Whatever they did didn't stop the leak and I'm a bit worried that the case may be cracked. Nothing to do but pull the engine and find the leak. (That RTV has to go) The oil was full when parked and last night it was between add and full. A pretty good amount for an engine that hasn't seen an hour of run time.

This is by far the best looking Simplicity that I have and I hope I can put it to work. Anyone have ideas on where the leak is coming from ? Thanks

Brettw

When you say PTO side, I am guessing you are speaking of the front of the tractor engine side, the crankshaft side.  If so, the M20 engine has a "closing plate" on that side.  If you are losing oil as it just sits there, not even running, and you speak of someone smearing RTV around that plate, I would think that it is leaking around that plate.  Not the end of the world at all if the plate isn't damaged.  The earlier KT series of those engines had a gasket used with that plate, the later Magnums did not and just used RTV.  If you are going to remove the closing plate, clean it all up and re-install, I would recommend a new crank seal in the process.

• Like 4

Brettw

Oh, and if you go on-line to the Kohler Engine site, they have complete owner's and service manuals for most of their engines.  They can be down loaded free of charge.  The service manual will give you detailed instructions regarding disassembly and re-assembly of that engine, including the closing plate, torque specs and tightening order, etc.  If I recall, there are about 10 or so bolts that hold that plate in place. Either way, a great resource and an excellent guide in what you may be about to undertake.

• Like 2

Tarheel

Thanks for the input Brettw.

As this leak isn't a pressure issue (So it seems so far) , I set about trying to get the deck leveled last night. (There will be a post about that.) and just running the tractor and keeping a close eye on the oil level. A trip to the car wash to clean everything is in order also. Maybe then I can find the leak.

Either way, I will pull the cover plate and clean up the RTV. It is something that has its place when done right, But I have seen engines ruined over jobs poorly done as this one is.

Thanks again.

MikeES
Posted (edited)

Also, when you remove the cover plate take it off slowly as there is a steel ball and spring (pressure relief system for the full pressure lube) that are held in place with the cover plate, you don't want to lose them.  

P1020574.JPG

Edited by MikeES
  • Like 4

Tarheel

Thanks Mike. I don't recall that at all. I'm sure you have saved me headaches.