Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7100 mower deck adjustment problems

Tarheel

Tarheel

When I first purchased the 7119 it "seemed" to mow as it should. I may have mowed for 15 minutes. The next time out, The front of the deck dropped a good bit and even I could see the scallops.It was bad. Fast forward a few years and I pulled the deck last night. 

I worked and worked with this deck and could not get the front of the blade tips higher than the rear. I couldn't get the front AS high.  I measured the deck mounting holes on the tractor and used a tie down strap and a winch to set the deck the same. When I took the front pins out to make adjustments, I placed wood under the front of the deck to keep it in place. (This after running the rear adjusters to the highest and working from there)

I ran the front adjusters out to the point that they had only half an inch or so of thread left and the best I could get was about 3/8ths inch higher in the rear. Some of you may recall that I put pallet jack rollers on one of my decks a few years back. And I got that deck leveled with nothing like the trouble I'm having with this one.

It mows well enough now that I can't see a problem, but I know it isn't right. I searched for videos and found one from Zippo (also saw one from him with a very good health report. That is awesome news sir !) It was for a 700 series I think but the process is much the same I think.

There is some slack in the spacers/bushings where the bail joins the rocker arm at the rear. I wouldn't have thought that could make this big a difference. Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

• Like 1

SmilinSam

I don't think you want to try leveling the deck with the mowing height set at the highest setting.

Try starting with the deck set at the height you usually mow at. Mine is 2-3 " most o the time.

That the only thing I can think of...

This picture from when someone couldn't level their deck in a long ago post came to mind. Not sure it helps, but checking for correct assembly couldn't hurt.

image.jpeg.9dc5a4b057ee7b4879ac1bf08a06afbf.jpeg

• Like 2

Tarheel

Thanks guys. 

Sam, I will do that.

AC710, I will look at those to make sure.

The worn spacer part number 2105051 is NLA but I should be able to cobble something together for replacements. My local Ace hardware keeps a pretty good selection of bushings/spacers in stock. Not that I have any idea that will take care of the problem but knowing they are worn is a bother.

Thanks again guys.

Tarheel

Thanks Mikeac.  Please PM me with a price for a pair.