Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wards 14

I'm new to these little tractors and trying to find out some info. I picked up a Wards 14 garden tractor. A guy was tossing it in the trash when I rescued it. The engine turned over, and it appeared to be pretty much complete, so I took it. I've since gotten the engine to run half way decent, the steering, mower deck and other rusted parts freed up and working (it was outside for several years) and actually driven it a little. Here's where the questions start: 1. Who actually made this? The Model # is GIL 33035B and Serial is 17X49377. The deck is Model 33051, Serial # 27X24677. Engine is a Briggs 320424-0122-01-710201. It is the original engine and that number tells me the engine was made in 1971, so I'm assuming the tractor was also. 2. Can I get parts for this thing anywhere?? I did get the mower deck to free up (had wire wrapped up in it and was stuck) but I'm worried about the bearings from sitting so long. I greased them and they seem ok, but I'd like to know where to get them in case. Also the shifter for the trans is very sloppy- hard to tell what gear you're in. I pulled it out and it looks to me like it might have had a small nylon tip which is missing (I'm guessing it would take up the slop between the shifter and the shift forks? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, John

Hi John, the "Gil", signifys that the "Wards" tractor was made by Gilson. There is a Gilson club, over at Yahoo. I believe, most people get their parts from parts tractors. Although, you may be able to still get new parts.....not sure who bought them out......Good luck ....Art http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gilsonlawntractors/

John, I have a MW model # Gil33048C I'll sell to you for $40.00 if you want another one. This one has the hydro static transmission that is missing some pieces, hydraulic lift and complete engine. Heavy duty looking tractor. Have fun getting yours going, Scott

John, yep, you found a gilson, I have a 33043A I bought cuz it had a starter/gen on. Little fidilling and got it going, now I hate to tear down a complete tractor. They seem to be well built but attachment change is a pain compared to Simplicity standards..Parts seem pretty had to come by, some guys on the Yahoo club seem to have good Toro dealers near them and get some stuff..Good luck,,MPH