Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CH 18 throttle

cwm1276

cwm1276

I have an Al Eden repower CH18 in my 7117H.  Oil kept disappearing, I pulled the engine today after seeing oil on the the spark plug wires.  The rear cover and it was just full of grease or oil sludge.  I pulled the flywheel and replaced the seal.  I had brought the "wrong" one before when replacing the one on the front of the tractor.

Well after replacing the seal and cleaning everything up from the engine fins to the cover, I was able to re-assemble everything and put the engine back into the tractor.  It started!  First time I have attempted such a task.

I found this video that helped me pull everything and my CH18 looked very similar behind the flywheel, at the 18 minute point.

I don't think I have the throttle connect correctly.  It will start at a slow throttle with choke, but trying to throttle up it will die or start surging.  I can't hold WOT.

Guessing it is how the throttle is connected or the springs for the governor.  I have bits apart with the linkage while getting all the covers off to clean the cooling fans.  

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

PhanDad

Some pics of OEM cable setup:

KohlerCommand18_Linkage2.thumb.jpg.79db0f22e65f4b6dbb74b0e8a4a0de5b.jpg

KohlerCommand18_Linkage3.jpg.77752451740a5a4466437a7d269d733d.jpg

KohlerCommand18_Linkage8.thumb.jpg.6d451d22e1369941b6f212367caeaaab.jpg

KohlerCommand18_Linkage9.thumb.jpg.814c90c32624f5a362693ac5e08c8daa.jpg

Al's Instructions:

Fig10_EdensConversion_Linkage.thumb.jpg.acfa1999d9e3d6d24c189289d8143f4a.jpg

The replacement Command in my 75th (not Simplicity Spec) had some different levers/holes so this is how I set the throttle and choke cables up:  

IMG_4808b.jpg.2338a49cf737afb7f650b711526a23d6.jpg

• Like 3

cwm1276

I am much closer, got 2/3's of yard mowed.  It would go for 15-20 minutes and start small surge, and end up dying.  I dealt with it until that much of the lawn was mowed.  

Looking it over once put away,  I think I have a vacuum issue on the fuel pump.  I could pull it off the block under the muffler.  I wonder if I disturbed it when lifting and moving the engine.  I assume it should have a clamp like on the fuel pump.

The muffler was hot after mowing, so I did not want to mess with it much.  That can be tomorrow night, now that most important lawn parts are mowed.

PhanDad
21 minutes ago, cwm1276 said:

I assume it should have a clamp like on the fuel pump.

Yep.

PULSEPUMP3.JPG.5ef3ba8ba9f24e7eddd3819f29b2e6f2.JPG

cwm1276

Bill,

Thank You for your help.  I bought some fuel hose this morning and clamps.  Looked tonight and the clamp was still on the engine but in lifting the engine I did not want to lift by the oil filter, so I think I tore the vacuum line. 

New line installed and the last 1/3 of the yard mowed without issue.  I need to run it a bit more and I can turn the family loose on it again, trusting the repairs are complete. 

• Like 4