Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 hydro filter wont come off

SmilinSam

Stan gives his big AC's names, so I'll follow suit and name this one here "Mr Murphy" Well, old Mr Murphys hydro oil filter wont budge. Am I missing something here in the way of instuctions on how to change a simple oil filter? on a 720 ?????????

Big screwdriver and a hammer worked for me on my '76 F150. Had to put the screwdriver all the way through the filter and then turn the filter. Speedy Lube tightened it just a little too tight.

Sam, I've noticed that with a lot of mechanical things. Sometimes when they won't "scare off".......... you just gotta' hit 'em.

Sam, What ever you do, try not to bend or rupture the outer case of the filter. Get a good quality oil filter wrench, the old type with the colapsing band. Make sure it is a size that fits the filter, too large will cause the filter to cave in. The size for gm pf51 filters will work on the 720's hydo filter. Apply some heat to the filter, nothing too drastic, just with propane. We used to run the motor good and hot. Position the wrench as near to the base of the filter as you can, even on its seam if possibe, and give steady smooth strong force. Have never had one yet that this didnt work. And I have encountered some very tough ones. The kids at the quicky lubes sometimes forget to oil the gasket before replacing the filters. Just thinking about it, if the filter is the original black one, you might also take a razor blade or knife around the seals edge to break the paint. Not sure if this is possible or needed though. I have tried to remove customers filters after they bent and disfigured the filter. If this already happened, the best thing I used to use was a 18 inch slip wrench at the filters base. I used to hate doing those, they usually warrented a few words of persuasion to help. Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Driving a sharp screwdriver through it and T-handle it off will work, sometimes the band-type or the socket type just wont get in there. The chain type might work a lot better. CleanBee's way is probably the more proper way though.

Heh, heh, I drove a 10 " heavy screwdriver through it and couldn't budge it. Put a 12" cheater pipe on it , still couldn't move it... tried a 24" cheater pipe and broke the screwdriver. Then grabbed up my 1" dia taperd punch and drove through it but had to go to a 36" cheater pipe before the filter finally turned. With everything else going wrong with working on this tractor its funny the filter mount didn't bust off too..............

Sounds like when I had to remove my old 6" front tires off my 4111. They had rusted on from the inside (actually had rust over the bead). When I was taking them off I had to cut them off with my razor knife, not only was that fun with a few cursing words but the razor knife slipped and stuck in my knee cap. Had to actuaaly pull the razor knife out of my knee cap. That was about 4 months ago and I still have a sore knee after cutting the tendon. That was a fun day. Then I couldn't get the rear wheel off either and had to cut the wheel off the axle with a sawzall after thinking I had it made since I got the front tires changed. Come to think of it I could name this tractor after my ex-wife.

Sam, come on now.... If it were really that bad, you'd have twisted off the mount about half a second after you realized it was left hand thread....... The likelyhood of breaking a part is directly proportional to cost, and inversely proportional to availability.

Its the honest truth Daddycat! The pipes I used are under the bench and I have a witness. And it didn't spin off by hand till I had made 1 complete revolution using the pipe on the punch..................Never had one stuck on that bad before.

Sam, I didn't doubt your efforts, just Mr. Murphy's slack at letting you off "easy" on that one. Ever hear "I just sold the last one I had about an hour ago. The new one is on backorder. I was surprised how much they are now!"? That's Murphy working you over a little.....