Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign Seat Switch

BillC

Recently the engine in my Sovereign was cutting in and out while I was mowing. I happened to notice while this was happening I was bouncing up and down on the seat and thought the seat switch was causing the problem. So I removed the seat switch wire and made a jumper wire with two spade connectors. The last time I mowed the engine did not have the problem. Also, my lawn is a little bumpy but not that rough. Food for thought for those who have experienced this problem before.

Most of these annoying cutout switches have been removed from my tractors. I'm not against safety, as long as it doesn't prevent usability. Rod H.

I like the safety switches for neutral and PTOs, but the seat safety........ bye. How could I even use the roving nozzle for my vac if the engine won't run if I'm not sitting on the seat?

Now it appears as tho ya'll think the seat switch is a dumb idea many ole duffers have riding mowers and small tractors the seat switch it very good if the ole boy had a heart attack and fell off while the mower kept going to the play ground where the little ones are likely unaware. I wouldn't care for the seat switch myself either. I like the option should i let a first timer use it or and old fella.

Leroy, I never stated the seat safety was a dumb idea, but I will. They’re DUMB. Theoretically, they prevent the tractor from running unless the driver is on the seat. That prevents the use of many tractor implements (vac, water pump, generator, cord wood saw, etc.). We all know the seat safety can be bypassed, but if the manufacturer offers those attachments that’s good for a lawsuit because the manufacturer knows the safety will be bypassed. Simplicity made riding tractors for over 30 years without seat switches. How many kids were killed by runaway tractors during those years? Probably less than the number of kids killed by their parents last year. The “little ones” are pretty smart and fast, and hopefully their parents have taught them to get out of the way of runaway tractors. I think tractors need lightning rods in case some young healthy guy gets struck by a bolt and the tractor runs onto a nursing home lawn where the “ole duffers” can’t move quick enough. BTW - Why aren't the 2 ton autos being driven at 60 mph by the "ole duffers" equipped with "dead man" controls?

My seat switches got the RED GREENtreatment. DuckTape. Can be undone by my wife for insurance purposes as I'm recovering.

Personally I think the seat switch is a excellent safety idea. I like the fact an operator must be seated while the PTO is engaged. Many years ago a young neighbor girl lost her leg at the knee when she ran up to her father while he was cutting grass and she slipped and stuck her leg into the mower chute. Since then I am very safety concious around power equipment. But, I do not like it when the seat switch hampers the operation of the engine. I call this the excellent idea - poor execution/design syndrome.

I agree Bill C I was not thinking all should have the seat switches and as a switch the option to use it should be afforded. To kill the engine is DUMB tho. The seat switch should stop the transmission and duct tape could over ride that for special operations. I dont think we need a new law here though. OK? Leroy

I think that the seat sencors are just stupid. The reason why I think that is because I mow alot of lawns that have farly steep slopes and once and a while I need to get off the seat to give more weight up the hill. So what I had to do is un hook it.

Actually, I think there IS a law that requires the seat switches. Kinda like the mandatory seatbelt law in the 70's where you couldn't start the car if the seat belts weren't fastened? Everybody had buckle prints on their buns! Paul

BillC, A seat switch wouldn't have saved that poor girl's leg. Paul, I think you're right about the law. There should be a law the requires the operator to put their brain in gear before they put machinery in gear. ( Just another example of, "Hey..... my brand new tractor has 21 different safety switches...... I have nothing to worry or think about........ The government has protected me again.")

Mighty good summery Herb. My biggest grip on seat switches is they kill a hot engine if you need to get off for any reason, DUMB....MPH

I completely rewired my 3310 when it was the only tractor I had. I have an Allen-Bradley switch that was (and could be again) jumped across the starter solenoid(don't worry, it's a 20 amp switch) and worked fine to power the solenoid or the starter directly. I eliminated ALL wiring not necessary to make my tractor run. I can start it in gear, with PTO's engaged, whatever.... If I'm too stupid to realize that a 10 HP motor could do serious damage to me or mine it's my fault for being that stupid...... I DO NOT need the government to tell me. This is the same thing as the broad who was too stupid to realize that coffee(from McDonalds) was HOT!!! If you're an idiot, no amount of government regulation will save you from yourself...... and the rest of us don't need it (regulation) either, because we realize coffee is hot, bugs bite and sting, and morons can't be protected from their own stuidity.....

The problem is that many people don't use common sense. People bypass the safety features all the time. But the first time there's an accident,then the lawyers get involved. Even if the consumer bypassed the safety feature,some suit will say" It was necessary to bypass the safety,because of a design flaw with the tractor,etc." I've always heard "You can't legislate common sense",and I'm finding out more and more how true that is.

I understand the complaint about the switch. I think that it should be like a front-seat airbag and have a shutoff. I like the switch for letting my 12 year old mow the yard. I will not let her mow on the old Sovereign that does not have the switch.

the theory we use is "if they are not smart enough to disconnect the switch themselves, they are probably not smart enough to be without it." TL Adams

• 1 month later...
Just an update on my Sovereign seat safety switch/engine ignition cutting out problem. Like I stated before I did jumper the seat switch and the engine did not cut out during the first use after jumping. The second use after jumping, the engine ignition did cut out but not very often. The third use after jumping, the engine ignition cut out very frequently. My wonderful Simplicity dealer suggested changing the interlock module located under the dash behind the battery, which I did. I reconnected the seat safety switch and after two uses the problem has gone away.