Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

value of simplicity sunstar

quantico

I am trying to purchase a garden tractor that is owned by my employer. The tractor is a 20 hp sunstar . It has the mower and snowblower attachment and a cab cover. The machine has 700 hours on it and has not been used in many years on a regular basis. I think the machine has had oil changes but has had little attention or maintaince over the years. It currently cranks but does not start. I think the issue is either old gas or a carb issue. The last time I used the tractor about six years ago it worked well. The snowblower has some large dents the size of softballs in the impeller. The belts and blades on the mower have not been serviced in years. I would really like to purchase the machine and get it back in excellent condition. What would be a reasonable price to pay for the machine that would be fair to both me and the company ??? I have the serial numbers on the tractor and the kohler 20 hp twin engine. Is there a chart that I can use to determine the age ????? It is a mode; 1691381 sunstar and the kohler engine is a M20S 770 cc spec / 49544 . I would love to know the age of the machine. The tractor was used mainly for grass cutting and we currently have a lawn and snow service. Thanks for any help or responses ... I can fix that with duct tape **

The engine alone, IMO, would have an intrinsic value of not less than $500+. But of course, this is a value judgment that you can probably make better than anyone (knowing the machine).....here's a link to some rather expensive machines.....Good luck Art http://www.exmarkdealer.com/cgi-bin/exmarkdealers/viewPhoto?custid=913&itemid=3 http://www.exmarkdealer.com/pipersville/used.htm

contact Simplicity 262.284.8519 with the product and serial number and they will give you the exact date of manufacture. is it a hard cab? is it a 2 stage thrower? a single stage is worth about $600. in good shape 60" deck? does it have the optional front hydraulics? check the hydro and electric clutch. if everything is okay cab,blower,60" deck and since it's from your FAVORITE boss IMO $2000-$2500 Nubian

Just get it at a fair price for yourself. Don't worry about the company. I'm sure they put it on depretiation for their taxes when they bought it and anything they get for it now they'll have count towards their taxes. The more you pay them the more uncle sam gets.

The top has a hard plastic top with fabric or heavy plastic tarp like sides. The doors are bent up and rusted shut. I had to pry the door hardware latch to open the door. It is a white top with the orange side covers. THe snowblower is a single stage and the impeller has some rather huge dents. The sides of the snowblower are not square. THe bearings turn , but the bottom has lots of rust. I have not seen the mower deck in years. I am not sure of the size. It is lurking in the building somewhere. Everything needs massave cleaning and some painting and any parts that get lube are dry. The tractor has the hydrolic lift for the snowblower in front. A local dealer got the age to about 1988 , but I will call the factory and try to get an exact date. Thanks for your help. Are these good tractors to pursue ???? I like the size of it. Do you think I will spend a bunch getting it back in shape ????? I can fix that with duct tape **

It must be worth about $150, I'll give you $200 for it....... Seriously though, I agree that at this point in time your employer has written off about as much as they can. The more you pay, the worse off they are due to taxes. Try using this angle to get it for free if you can, as cheap as possible if you can't. One angle is "lack of parts availability", unless they check into it seriously you should have a good leg on that aspect alone.... I assume the tractor is about ten years or more older. Most businesses look for write-offs, use this to your advantage....

Obviously the cheaper you get it the better. Start with an offer that's 1/2 what you think it's worth. From your description , it's been regularly neglected and other than visible flaws you dont really know what may be bad (or going bad) in other areas you cant see, ie deck spindles, hydrostat,steering,electrical and even the engine. Just keep in mind parts for these older tractors can be expensive and just plain hard to get. Dick

Sounds like it has seen plently of employee abuse, buy it cheap so you can afford to fix it up...MPH

Thanks for the simplicity phone number. They told me the tractor was an early production that was built in 1988. I was told by a dealer that the trade in value of the sunstar was 1200-1800 dollars depending on year and condition and hours. The store sold units newer than this one with less hours for 2400 dollars . Those used tractors came lubed and working and checked out and had a warranty as well. He also repaints most hoods and fenders at that price. I will pursue the used one till I can't get it or it gets to be more than it is worth. I can fix that with duct tape **

• 4 weeks later...
I am still waiting for an answer to my desire to purchase the tractor. What kind of repairs should I expect on the mower deck???? It has run a lot of grass, but the area is fairly level and the grass is not full of big sticks or trees or things likely to damage . I can fix that with duct tape **

It's almost impossible to estimate cost of repairs until the deck is inspected and/or disassembled. How is the shell? Is it rotted out anywhere? Is it "thin" in spots? Poke it with an ice pick. Can you poke a hole in it (thin). Does it sound solid? Rotate the blades. Do they spin true, smoothly, and quietly? Or, do they wobble, grab, make noise?

As far as what it's worth, you may want to watch this eBay auction... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2038941649 The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I have a ~94 Sunstar with a little over 200 hours on it. Everyone brags on the powermax line ( I have owned two and still have one) but the Sunstar is my favorite and it did replace the powermax line even if it was a lighter duty tractor. Parts are not hard to get if you need them. Mine is the 20 hp with 60 inch deck and it mows very smoothly. Good luck.

Hey Boss, I thought about that lawn mower and in the shape it is in now does $750 sound fair. After all I dont know how hard it will be to get parts and if they are still available. Thats what I would do and tear it down to the frame clean and repaint everything. By the time you are done with parts manuals and owners manuals paint ect. $200 on the extreme high side. I paid $850 for mine and am doing that this winter. I have a new short block in it already.