Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JohnN

Rim Question.

JohnN
I’ll try to be as complete as possible to save any confusion and to describe the exact problem. When I picked up my 7117H it had no rear wheels, being as thrifty as I am, I installed 23x8.5x12 tires on the machine. I noticed the rear of the tractor seemed to be a little lower then it looked like it should be. I looked at the specs, and if I remember correctly, it originally came with 23x10.5x12 tires. Since the height “23” is the same for both tires. I thought it would not matter, but it does, or does it? I like to cut my grass long... as high as the deck will cut. So, I maxed out the roller adjustment. This caused the drive pulley on the deck to become “misaligned” so that the center PTO belt rubs on the bottom flange of the deck drive pulley. The problem is that the center PTO belt not being aligned properly with the deck causes the belt to flip over and ride the TOP of the belt IN the groove, I’ve ruined three belts so far. I remedied this by adjusting the front of the deck up so the pulley was aligned with the belt. This worked but caused two problems. 1. The deck was throwing half the grass out the discharge shoot and the other half out the front of the deck. 2. With the front so high and the staggered position of the blades, the center blade was a lot higher and caused a wide stripe about a half an inch taller then the sides. So here’s my solution, I want to install 26x12x12 tires to lift the rear of the tractor 1.5 inches. 26 – 23 = 3 / 2 = 1.5 I tried this with 1.5” spacer blocks and it works great. I checked out the “craftsman dgt-4000” (lower case intended) and the rear tires are 24x12x12. There is a lot of sidewall bow, I imagine to keep from denting the rim if you brush a curb. I think I remember the rims being 10.5x12. I was planning if all else fails to order the rims from sears and install the 26x12x12 tires but I don’t like all that bow in the sidewall. Were can I buy 12x12 steel rims cheap? They should have 3.5” between the piece where the hub bolts to the rim to the outer most flange on the inside of the rim. Sorry for writing a book, Johnn

HubbardRA
John, Cheap is the catch in this question. I have never purchased a set of these wide wheels, but I hear that they run around $50 each. I have, however, widened two sets. I just took a jig saw and split the rim in the low portion near the mounting face. Then I went to a local machine shop and had them roll a tube the width I wanted to widen the wheels. I inserted the two original pieces inside the tube lined them up and welded the pieces back together. I have made two sets this way, one for 26-12-12 tires and one for 23-10.5-12 tires. All of my welding ends up inside the tire. There is nearly 6 feet of weld on each wheel when you get finished. If you are looking for tires, try some place that services commercial equipment. Both of these sizes are common on DitchWitch machines. Rod H.