Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC720 OUT OF STORAGE

Guest ACDAVE

Guest ACDAVE
HAVE A AC720 WITH ABOUT 600 HRS ON IT - IN THE LAST TEN YEARS IT'S BEEN STORED INSIDE AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS. WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDED PROCESS TO FIRE IT BACK UP AFTER BEING DORMANT FOR SO LONG. NO SPECIAL PREPARATIONS WERE TAKEN BEFORE BEING STORED IE; GAS, MOTOR, OTHER FLUIDS. ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.......... THANKS IN ADVANCE ACDAVE

I would remove the spark plugs, squirt motor oil in the cylinders, and turn the engine over by hand a few times. Then, with the plugs still out, crank it over a few more times with the starter to get crankcase oil circulating.

If there is any old gas left in the tank, definitely drain it and the carb. The carb might be shellaced, but I wouldn't pull it off to clean until I tried running it. You will probably need to dip the plug in some gas or put a little down the cylinder as well to help it fire the first time. Oil should be OK to run the first time, but I would drain it and start over as soon as it gets warmed up good. Rest of the fluids will probably just need the level checked. Have fun with it! Brad

Dutch is definitely on the right track. You may want to check compression to judge the integrity of the rings and cylinder condition, should be around 105 psi. I would recommend when you remove the plug to squirt in a little penetrating oil. It may smoke a little when fired up but it should burn out pretty quick. I would also change the motor oil and put in a good 5W-30 blend. Then change it again after a few hours operation. Hopefully your gas tank is not corroded, but should definitely be flushed out with fresh gasoline. The carb may have to be cleaned, but as BJennings put it, wait until you have other stuff running at first. Before you actually put in gas, check for a good strong spark by turning over the engine with the spark plug pulled out so you can see the actual spark at the spark plug gap. My experience on a B-110 was similar, a long time sitting under the weather. I carefully lubricated everything I could and took things slowly at first. Fired right up. Since your tractor was under cover, you shouldn't have much trouble. DaveG

All good suggestions. Another consideration (if it was ever run on leaded gasoline) is to pull the heads and clean them. This will also give you the opportunity to inspect the valves and cylinder walls. The Onan manual recommends cleaning the heads before switching to unleaded fuel. Paul

Oh, another thing! If it has a rear PTO, that hasn't been used in a while, pull the seat and the gearbox cover and rotate the pto shaft (top shaft) by hand to make sure none of the needle bearings are siezed or rusted. I had a 9020 that the pto had never been used, and the first time I used it, I spun the idler gear shaft in it's pressed fit! It would also be a good idea to replace hydraulic oil and filter. Paul