Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mid-PTO/B10 Story

Austin

Austin

Well, I was at my buddies house with the restored B10 yesterday and we tried messing with it and couldn’t get spark at all. No matter what we tried it just wouldn’t work. Fast forward to today we tried the same things and nothing. But right before I was getting ready to leave I decided to give it one more try. Of course, it fired right off… My guess is the humidity was just too high yesterday preventing points spark. But on another note, I had a first on mid-ptos today. While driving it around I accidentally hit the pto engagement and then heard a thunk. I got off and this is what I saw. Definitely not what I expected to see.. A new set screw and a half-moon key (completely missing now) should fix it back up.

IMG_7625.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

gwiseman

I've had that one happen too Austin. had a 3112h that would throw the pto pulley once in a while. Of course I only used that machine on an 1 1/2ac lot that was surrounded by trees and not close to the shop. Still, I loved mowing with that old tractor. Reminds me, I need to get a couple of my B series out for a bit of air.

• Like 2

Mikeac

That’s a crappie way to take test drive.

we have the nos parts per original part numbers to fix her up

• Like 1

Austin
5 minutes ago, Mikeac said:

That’s a crappie way to take test drive.

we have the nos parts per original part numbers to fix her up

I believe I have the parts on hand to fix it up, I just have not taken a look yet. However I’ll keep the offer in mind!

Austin
14 hours ago, gwiseman said:

I've had that one happen too Austin. had a 3112h that would throw the pto pulley once in a while. Of course I only used that machine on an 1 1/2ac lot that was surrounded by trees and not close to the shop. Still, I loved mowing with that old tractor. Reminds me, I need to get a couple of my B series out for a bit of air.

That’s how it goes! Thankfully this is not his main mowing machine, it is just his backup. His main is a Sear ST12 his grandma bought 2nd owner in the early 2000’s. I’m not a Sears guy but it’s certainly built well. But speaking of B series, I think everyone will like what’s coming home on the trailer tomorrow.

• Like 1

If you have space put a second set-screw behind the first, to keep it from backing out with vibration.

• Like 4

Bill725
Posted (edited)

If the set screw is on top of the key, use a longer set screw with jam nut. If the setscrew is not over the key, use a drill, next size smaller than the tap drill size to dimple the shaft and use a long cone point set screw with jam nut.

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 5

gwiseman
16 hours ago, Austin said:

But speaking of B series, I think everyone will like what’s coming home on the trailer tomorrow.

???🧐

• Like 1

If this is your pulley, double set screws or loctite blue to prevent it from backing out.

image.png.8d56100021d97b67e7e8a02a30c609fd.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully I am on the correct thread. I have two B10's One I know nothing about and the other I know its history.

Serial number are:

Any thoughts?