Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar 20 snowblower single stage vs. 2 stage

simpcataha

simpcataha

Hello snow people. I have a simplicity factory snowplow that I mount to a sunstar 20. I like it, but I'd also like to have it all. I sometimes find single or 2 stage snowblowers for this tractor and am wondering if it's worth it to pay a bit more for the seemingly less common 2 stage. I'd probably use it 5-6 times per year at 3 inch snowfall per use.

Ronald Hribar

I have heard the two stage blower for the Sunstar was not good

never had a Sunstar myself

But I have a Prestige and have both the single stage and the 2 stage.

I think the 2 stage will pump snow out

but leaves snow when coming up to garage door

will do a better job if you sit there a while and gather it in.

the single stage is not quite as good

I have 4 wheel drive

so extra weight on front tires is welcome

I have single stage blower on 7117

and it is awesome there

I use the single stage on my 7100 and it works as well as I could ask for.  Considering it is the same identical design as what you would use on the Sunstar, I see no reason it wouldn't work just as well for that tractor. Also, less moving parts, less complicated less maintenance, IMHO. 

• Like 1

I used a single stage on the 7000 series, 7200, and a Legacy on a very long (300 yards) driveway as well as widening a half mile private road after the plow was done. I never had any trouble nor did I think a two stage would clear the snow any better. 

I was in Western Maine and deep snowstorms were common. I think a single stage will work great for you. Just keep in mind a single stage works differently than a two stage. There is more finesse with a single stage. 

Good luck

• Like 1

The 2 stage blowers seem to be more capable of blowing the snow further.  (Especially when a smaller driven pulley is installed 🙂)