Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

hydro seal on 620 allis

I have a leaking seal on my 620 allis . It is on the side shaft the shift lever is connected to. Has any one replace this seal? Do I have to remove the hydro unit or can you get the seal in and out while still in tractor? Carroll RICHARD THOMPSON

powermax_paul
Carroll, If you're talking about the control shaft lever, I think you're gonna have to pull the hydro unit. It's not that complicated, just tedious and frustrating. If you're talking about the Three Range Speed Selector Lever, that seal (if there is one) can be accessed by pulling the seat and gearbox cover. Anyway, I'll assume you're talking about the hydro control shaft. 1. You'll need to drain the fluid by pulling the hose off the pickup tube (bottom of gearbox case) or pulling the temp transducer. 2. Disconnect discharge hose and pressure connections at the top of the hydro and the inlet hose at the bottom. 3. Remove control rod from control lever. 4. Disconnect the yoke on the input shaft from the drive disc. 5. Remove nuts that fasten the hydro unit to the gearbox. 6. Pull the hydro unit straight out of the case. This is the hard part cuz the pilot is very closely machined, and is easy to get stuck if not pulled straight out. It doesn't help that the case is cast iron and the hydro is cast aluminum. It does help if you have someone at the top end helping to pull it out. Be careful cuz that thing is heavy. When it finally comes out it can fall and hit you in the chin. It kinda has to be lifted & rotated before letting it down thru the frame. You should be able to replace the seal without taking the unit apart. Polish/Clean the shaft before putting on the new seal. If you need help getting the unit apart, email me. It may be worthwhile replacing the control shaft needle bearings if you have the unit open. Paul