Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

EZer Mowing

Dutch
I like natural beauty, but my wife likes lawn ornaments. Of course, we have lawn ornaments (tackyyyyy). I hate moving those things when I mow. I also hate to have to walk around with a weed whacker. So, I place the ornaments on a base. I have poured concrete (permanent), installed flagstone and patio blocks (time consuming), made beds of crushed stone (weeds still grow). Cesspool lids work fine, except the larger sizes can be expensive, they are heavy to move, and they should be placed in the ground since they are about 3” thick. The best base I have found is the end of an old steel storage tank. Tank ends can be obtained free or almost free, installation is a snap, they sit flush with the ground, can be painted any color, are long lasting, and can be relocated easily.

Dutch
John, No..... it's a storage tank. 55 gal. drums are too thin, have a lip which holds water, usually aren't large enough, and don't last long. 55 gal drum tops are okay if they're sunk in the ground, have a drain hole and are filled with pebbles. They will keep the weeds out for a few years, especially if painted or coated with tar. Terry, Filling is MY job, of course. But, I usually let God handle it. Unless my "killer cat" is having a slow day.