Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

runs better with plug wire off

Dudley

My old lawn baron with a 13 HP B&S started missfiring and it just got worse and worse till it died and wouldn't start. I pulled the plug wire off to see if there was any spark - held it next to the plug - and it started. Put the wire back on, wouldn't start. Pull the wire off, it starts. The spark will jump 1/2 inch and it runs great, but when I put the wire on the plug, it dies. What gives? Any guesses?

You have a bad spark plug. Holding the wire away from the plug, allowing the spark to jump, actually increases the spark inside the plug to where it will fire. Pat

That's easy to take care of! Thanks for the advice. I had to finish some work tonight so I used baling wire to rig the plug wire away from but near the spark plug - worked great, but I think a real fix is in order.

Baling wire, now thats what I call creative. Wonder what Red/Green could come up with if he used baling wire and duct tape..MPH

Baling wire -side cutters and duct tape you can just about fix anything. And thats a for sure. Have a good one.---Ron B

Replaced the plug and the tractor runs great. I suspect the plug had been acting up as it got hot for a while because the tractor would start missing and running rough after warming up. This forum is great! Several times over the past few years I have posted a problem and gotten real help within hours. Thanks to Pat and others who are willing to contribute good advice.