Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

TIRE DILEMMA

roma3112

HI ALL I had a question regarding the tires on my 4211. I have to replace both front tires, I just finished putting one side on, and boy was it a pain in the A$(*. I am wondering if any body here has any tipe for installing these types of tires. I dont have any kind of tire machine nor do i have any kind of tire irons. I am hoping sombody has some experience fighting with tires. thanks john

Hi John, I purchased the mini-tire changer from Northern Tool, what a difference. Used to struggle, now its a quick 10-15 minute job. Tried to include the link to Northern but its not responding. Here's a link to harborfreight. This one is basically the same as mine and a little cheaper too....Art http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34552

Hi John, I recently changed my front tires on my 4111 and boy it was a pain in the a** also. I even had tire irons. Now I figure I am going to invest in that tire changer that was mentioned above. If you do a search under tire I believe you will find the post I did and the trouble I had. Kris

I second the endorsement for the mini tire changer from Northern. It makes a really frustrating, knucklebusting, and back breaking job a piece of cake. It works better on small wheels that a regular tire changer at a tire shop.

now heres something i've done some of. i used to work for a tire shop. so i have have done skidder,farm, truck, car and lawn.we didnt have machine for small tires so we done it like i do at home.to get the tire on make sure the rim is smooth where the bead will go.wire wheel or brush if it needs it.oil the bead up. pull the tire on the rim as far as it go then if you cant work thetire the rest of the way on by pushing on the tire[with it laying on its side]at the sides where the bead needs to go over the rim.get a flat screw driver and taking little bites pry the tire bead over the rim then do the same with other side.thats the way i do it and it always works for me. use plenty of oil. simplejim

I have always used dish soap for lube when changing tires as it cleans off with a hose. I also put baby powder into the tire if I'm using a tube since it lets the tube shift into place easier as it inflates. If you're using makeshift tire irons to mount a tire with a tube, try to find something without sharp edges. It bites to have to take a new tube out and patch it. For getting a tire on, make sure the opposite side from where you're working is down off the bead, toward the center. I have heard of using a rubber mallet to drive the tire onto the rim, but use the pry-it-on method myself I just replaced all four tires on my tractor. I used spare rims and new lug tires with tubes. The rims were in pretty sad shape with the fronts having the tires rotted through and rusted on. I sandblasted them and painted several light coats. I didn't have much trouble at all putting the new tires on, mostly due to refinishing the rims I think. Here is a rear tire, tube and wheel before mounting. I filled the tubes with washer fluid for added weight. The rear tires took 5.5 gallons each, the fronts 1.25 gallons each. I used plastic tubing inserted into the jug of washer fluid, removed the valve core from the tube, and used the blower side of the shop-vac to pressurize the jug and blow the fluid into the tube. The front rims were off a 725 and lacked the wheel weight bolt holes of my original ones. Rather than change two sets of front tires, I got to spend quality time with my daughter. I got "help" while teaching her how to use a drill, which she thought was the greatest thing ever. First thing was "Go get some safety glasses and ear plugs"